USB Condensor as a "field-grade" USB mic for lapto

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Tom

USB Condensor as a "field-grade" USB mic for lapto

#1 Post by Tom »

I generate pink noise easily from a CD, and would like to carry something simple to gigs, like an RTA mic for the USB port, for instance:

http://www.macintouch.com/samsonc01u.html

Will a Hypercardioid condenser mic work with simple RTA software well enough to flatten out my Dr250 tops EQ in a bar?

DJPhatman

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Sorry, no. you need a reference mic, which the Sampson is not.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Tom

#3 Post by Tom »

Why not?

The mic response is flat.

The mic pattern is tighter than a reference mic.

I don't need an absolute calibrated measurement.

I have a reference mic, but who wants to haul all of that extra sh*t to every gig?

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

DJPhatman wrote:Sorry, no. you need a reference mic, which the Sampson is not.
Sorry, I'll rephrase my answer. You will get much better results with a calibrated reference mic. Will it work? Yes. Will it be accurate? Probably close. It will help your results if you calibrate the mic first to your software. The Sampson is a vocal mic, I'm not so sure it's a directional mic. PDF says it's a hypercardiod pick-up mic. Omni-directional. It will pick up reflected sounds and ambient noise fairly easy.

BTW, you should reference the system once in half-space, them tweak it in the rooms you are in by ear. Trust your ears, as they hear what the audience hears.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Tim A

#5 Post by Tim A »

At first I thought: Whyintheheck does he want to use that thing when he can get a reference mic for $50? Then I realized it's a direct USB connection. That's purdy cool.

The response chart shows that it's fairly flat. One concern is the huge bump in the 5-10k region at 180 degrees. That would certainly let background noise in. That goes back to what DJPhat said about it being omnidirectional. If you could figure a way to block everything coming from behind it would probably work better.

Going the other way, there must be some kind of converter on the market that would let you plug in to the USB port and just use the $50 Behringer reference mic? Either way you go you're going to be carrying a mic and cables.

Strapping Young Stu

#6 Post by Strapping Young Stu »

Isnt it also cardioid and has a large diaphragm?

I thought Omni's were the only recommended mic for measurement.

Smaller diaphragms will also have a faster settling time which should be better for accurate measurement.

Stu

Mark Coward

#7 Post by Mark Coward »

Tim Ard wrote:At first I thought: Whyintheheck does he want to use that thing when he can get a reference mic for $50? Then I realized it's a direct USB connection. That's purdy cool.

The response chart shows that it's fairly flat. One concern is the huge bump in the 5-10k region at 180 degrees. That would certainly let background noise in. That goes back to what DJPhat said about it being omnidirectional. If you could figure a way to block everything coming from behind it would probably work better.

Going the other way, there must be some kind of converter on the market that would let you plug in to the USB port and just use the $50 Behringer reference mic? Either way you go you're going to be carrying a mic and cables.
I believe that most reference mics are omni-directional.

XLR to USB convertors:

http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=MICPORTPRO

http://www.amazon.com/LightSnake-STUSBX ... 536&sr=1-1
Mark Coward

Tim A

#8 Post by Tim A »

Jeez, you guys are right. I just always assumed...stupidly, of course.

Tom

#9 Post by Tom »

The XLR to USB convertors would do the job if they provided phantom power. If not, hauling a phantom power box is undesirable.

Mark Coward

#10 Post by Mark Coward »

Tom wrote:The XLR to USB convertors would do the job if they provided phantom power. If not, hauling a phantom power box is undesirable.
The first link I posted, the BSW unit has phantom power and 96k/24bit conversion. It's $150 though.

Personally, I would choose one of the "micro" mixers with USB out & phantom power, it would cost about the same and be useful for other purposes.
Mark Coward

Tom

#11 Post by Tom »

Yeah, I have a small USB mixer. It doesn't fit in the laptop bag, however. I'm trying to do more with less gear, and finding that RTA definitely is a "more gear" effort.

I appreciate all of the responses. Thanks!

wallywally

#12 Post by wallywally »

Here is one that is less expensive. Only 16 bit and 44khz but that shouldn't matter in measurement. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=270707

Haysus

Re: USB Condensor as a "field-grade" USB mic for lapto

#13 Post by Haysus »

Tom did you have any luck? what software are using?

4 20" T39(built)
2 WH8(built)
3 WH10(own)
4 DR200(own)

1 Jack 12(built)
SAC 24 Channel Mixer
SAW STUDIO Recording

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#14 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

I wouldn't use it for critical testing, but for down and dirty RTAs it should work well enough.

bgavin

#15 Post by bgavin »

Rolls makes a tiny +48v phantom supply the size of a wall wart.
I own the Rolls 6-channel 1RU rack phantom supply also.
Both provide much cleaner phantom power than you get from a USB port, and without the strain on the port.
USB is only rated for up to 500mA. +48v is obtained by HF switching. Certain mics have a minimum current requirement.

I use the Superlux/Behringer measurement small diameter condensor. All are based on the same Panasonic capsule and work well. The correction curve for the Behringer applies to the Superlux.

The omni pattern is the choice for pure measurements, but a cardioid would probably provide more usable results in a bar, where it is deaf to closer sounds from patrons, while it concentrates on the band sound.
My biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my toys for what I said I paid for them.