Behringer DEQ2496, or DBX Rackdrive?

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Craig

Behringer DEQ2496, or DBX Rackdrive?

#1 Post by Craig »

I am looking to purchase a RTA unit to be able to auto EQ my system. I presently have 6xdr250's, 4xT48, crown amps and DBX 2231 dual EQ, 2 dbx xl266 compressors. The unit is primarily for outdoor work and is presently used with 3 tops aside. We have a large event early in 2010 that we will likely add additional top box's & subs too and possibly delay stacks. (Delay stacks are more for additional fill rather than sheer volume, to stay within council sound restrictions for the venue).

I need a unit that can, auto eq simply and accurately, provide gentle compression over the entire main mix, and provide a separate stereo delay send to remote stacks if required?

I initially thought I would go with the DBX drive rack, but this is more than 3x the price locally of the Behringer DEQ2496 , which would seem to do everything I require.

I am intersted in your thoughts and experience in terms of usability, reliablity, accuracy?

Thanks Craig

BrentEvans

Re: Behringer DEQ2496, or DBX Rackdrive?

#2 Post by BrentEvans »

Check out the DCX2496 instead of the DEQ. Much more robust and very affordable. Several people around here use them, and I've installed one before, I can vouch for them being very easy to set up with the PC interface, good sounding, and very versatile.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

David Carter

#3 Post by David Carter »

Craig wrote:I am looking to purchase a RTA unit to be able to auto EQ my system.
BrentEvans wrote:Check out the DCX2496 instead of the DEQ.
DCX is a nice unit (I have one), but it doesn't do what Craig is looking for...
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

BrentEvans

#4 Post by BrentEvans »

Know what? I'm :fruit: . Read "EQ" not "AutoEQ.''

My bad, sorry.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

wallywally

#5 Post by wallywally »

I own a DEQ2496 and it works very well. It seems if you get one that works out of the box than you'll have a good unit. Although the "new" failure rate seems to be quite high. Since you have some time the DEQ would seem to be a good choice.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

Craig

#6 Post by Craig »

Thanks Wallywally.
I have heard similar feed back here in Australia about the DEQ2496 unit. Those that have working units, love them. Others have had problems with reliability, and are little nervous to give them another try!

How easy is the DEQ2496 to use? is it fairly intuitive? Does the DBX driverack have have an edge in quality (build -durability) and features over the Behringer unit. I have not had great success with Behringer in the past and found they build for a price on much of the gear they offer.

I have, on the other hand been very happy with all the DBX rack gear I own. It was only natural then when looking for an Auto EQ unit that I look at the Drive Rack. Seems to have loads of proccessing capability that i could grow into down the track if needed.

However, the DBX auto EQ is only 28 band, where as the behringer unit is 31band. Does this become problematic, if I wanted to transfer the DBX Auto EQ curve to my dual 31 band EQ?

Looking forward to your comments

Dave Non-Zero

#7 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

the dbx eq is much narrower Q than a 31band analogue eq i think. dont know how accurate a transfer would be. that said, the 28 bands are the same centre freq, just missing the top and bottom bands so you shoul dbe able to copy them across.
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280

wallywally

#8 Post by wallywally »

The behringer is very easy to navigate and set up, the features are great and it seems to be very accurate. I was considering the driverack 260. If your considering the driverack PA I would recommend the behringer just because the features are much better. Alot of people use the behringer on this forum and the reliability seems to be acceptable. IMHO the driverack 260 or any of the dbx products are higher quality....but at a much higher cost.
Builds:
T-39
DR 280
Wedgehorn 8
Omni 12
SLA
TAT
TLAH experimental

RubiconProSound
Location: Pollock Pines CA. (between Lake Tahoe and Sacramento...)

#9 Post by RubiconProSound »

If you don't have any aversions to buying used gear there are good deals on the Driverack PA out there. I picked mine up here on the board for under $300 and it works great. (I think SubDude still has another one to sell...)

The nice thing about the Driverack PA is that it has the Auto EQ along with the X-over, compression, and other features. You didn't mention if you already had a crossover or not but I'm guessing you'll need one when you add the subs.

With the Behringer arrangement you need to purchase both units (DEQ and DCX) to get the Auto EQ and crossover features found on the DriveRack. That being said, the Behringer combo will get you a few more features like "zero attack" limiters, 3 inputs for aux fed subs, etc ...)

I've got other dBX gear that I use and it's been reliable so I just went with a brand I'm familiar with...I don't think you could go wrong with either.
Built so far:
AutoTuba. TAT, T18, T30, T39, SLA, SLA Pro, DR200, Omni 12TB, Omni 12 Sub, Omni 10.5,

Craig

#10 Post by Craig »

Thanks Dave,
Yes I have a DBX223xl active crossover running to as a 2way stereo signal, subs summed.
Was thinking of using on board xover in which ever speak management/processing unit I went with!

I need a speaker management system that will allow me to run seperate signals to main front of house (FOH) and remote delay stacks. In terms of, EQ, xover points, delay, and top-sub alighment of each stack.

FOH to run as autonomous send , delay stacks to run as autonomous send!

Can the DBX Drive rack PA do this?

I have no problem getting a 2nd hand DBX driverack in good condition at the right price. They are good reliable units. However as i live in Perth Australia it will need to operate on 220-240v, not 110v as found in the states. Don't really want to fuss with carrying stepup transformers etc.
Does the Driverack PA have have a "Switch Mode Transformer" fitted? In which case power supply would not be a problem.

Thanks Craig

Dave Non-Zero

#11 Post by Dave Non-Zero »

Craig wrote:Thanks Dave,
Yes I have a DBX223xl active crossover running to as a 2way stereo signal, subs summed.
Was thinking of using on board xover in which ever speak management/processing unit I went with!

I need a speaker management system that will allow me to run seperate signals to main front of house (FOH) and remote delay stacks. In terms of, EQ, xover points, delay, and top-sub alighment of each stack.

FOH to run as autonomous send , delay stacks to run as autonomous send!

Can the DBX Drive rack PA do this?
Nope, sorry. Driverack PA is all linked as stereo i believe with 2in 6out. the eqs are stereo linked too, so you cant eq the L+R seperately. The behringer unit is 3in 6out with any amount of configuration and routing allowed as far as i know.

As for the power supply, ill try and remember to have a look in the back later today.
-1 for thought terminating cliches.

Built and/or own:
8 x T48 24" 3015LF
6 x DR280
2 x DR250 old style beta10
2 x T36s 20" delta15L
1 x TAT
1 x dual Lab12 30" T60

In Progress:
2 x DR280