Dayton Audio iMM-6

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
J_Dunavin

Dayton Audio iMM-6

#1 Post by J_Dunavin »

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... d--390-810

Has anyone actually used this little guy?
I'm not expecting anything earth shatering, I would just like to know that I'm in the ballpark and could correct for some room issues / fine tune my EQ to my liking.
Thanks
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

Tom Smit

Re: Dayton Audio iMM-6

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

I just purchased one a few weeks ago, that and this RTA program https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Tool&hl=en . It's $8.50 but it uses the calibration file from Dayton Audio whereas the other RTA programs that I have don't have that capacity. One more observation: it seems 10db hotter than the phone mic but I may have to offset the calibration. I will try with a known SPL meter sometime soon.
TomS

bitSmasher

#3 Post by bitSmasher »

I'd be more inclined to get the USB mic and run through USBOTG or Apple Camera Connection Kit
I've tried the latter on an Ipad with great success, just need to find the tiny cable to try USBOTG with my Galaxy phone

Perhaps look at the UMM-6 if you can stretch the budget, it'll be much more versatile. Laptop and Room EQ Wizard comes to mind straight away

commander_dan

#4 Post by commander_dan »

Tom Smit wrote:I just purchased one a few weeks ago, that and this RTA program https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... Tool&hl=en . It's $8.50 but it uses the calibration file from Dayton Audio whereas the other RTA programs that I have don't have that capacity. One more observation: it seems 10db hotter than the phone mic but I may have to offset the calibration. I will try with a known SPL meter sometime soon.
Tom, I just purchased one also, and have the app you mentioned. I'd like to be able to get some RTA plots for all of the cabs I've built thus far so I can see how close I got to the sales page graphs, kinda like dyno-ing them if you will :cowboy:

What's the best way to do this, I'm guessing outdoors, 2.83V into the cab and measurement mic at 1m distance, on the ground? I have no idea (obviously!). Please. Halp. :P
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

commander_dan

#5 Post by commander_dan »

Just found and read this thread:

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =halfspace

I think I have a fair enough idea of what to do now.

Soon, we are going to do a test/sub shootout day, 4xT30's vs 4xTurbosound TMS4's (just the sub cabinets), outdoors. So once I get the hang of taking measurements I'll be able to post up some results :hyper:
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

CoronaOperator

#6 Post by CoronaOperator »

J_Dunavin wrote:http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-aud ... d--390-810

Has anyone actually used this little guy?
I'm not expecting anything earth shatering, I would just like to know that I'm in the ballpark and could correct for some room issues / fine tune my EQ to my liking.
Thanks
I have one and with the audiotools app it is a great little unit, I mean I always have my phone with me and the mic fits in a shirt pocket. I compared the measurments of the IM-6 with audio tools to a DBX measurement mic using REW wizard and the results were pretty much identical. The only limitation of audiotools on my phone is that the 20hz-80hz region is of very low resolution, 4 or maybe 5 points on the graph, not the most useful for finding room modes and stuff.

Great compact and portable tool, but limited in the low end resolution.

RTA's are great for a few things: Checking that your sub boxes are in correct polarity with each other, checking to see if there is addition at crossover frequencies, adjusting relative levels of boxes, adjusting EQ outdoors and especially for finding feedback frequencies so that you can notch them on an EQ.

Using an RTA indoors you have to realize that the microphone can't tell the difference between direct sound and reflected sound and that the entire graph will change when you move the microphone 2 feet. The reflected waves interfere with the direct sound and give you all sorts of strange readings, most of which cannot be corrected with EQ.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

CoronaOperator

#7 Post by CoronaOperator »

commander_dan wrote: What's the best way to do this, I'm guessing outdoors, 2.83V into the cab and measurement mic at 1m distance, on the ground? I have no idea (obviously!). Please. Halp. :P
For subs, you will get a better measurement using 28.3V and measuring the boxes 10m away. The reason is that up close to the subs they are not radiating into a true 1/2 space because the big sub boxes are taking up lots of space compared to your 1m half sphere. You would get high readings. You could bury them in the ground with the mouths facing up but at 28.3v/10m the error induced by the big boxes becomes negligible.
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

commander_dan

#8 Post by commander_dan »

CoronaOperator wrote:
commander_dan wrote: What's the best way to do this, I'm guessing outdoors, 2.83V into the cab and measurement mic at 1m distance, on the ground? I have no idea (obviously!). Please. Halp. :P
For subs, you will get a better measurement using 28.3V and measuring the boxes 10m away. The reason is that up close to the subs they are not radiating into a true 1/2 space because the big sub boxes are taking up lots of space compared to your 1m half sphere. You would get high readings. You could bury them in the ground with the mouths facing up but at 28.3v/10m the error induced by the big boxes becomes negligible.
Awesome, thanks for the info Corona. This weekend was going to be our test day but looks like bad weather will postpone it until the next weekend I'm home in a fortnight. Can you plot SPL vs Freq graphs using Audio Tool? Have been playing around with it and so far haven't found the function.
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2
TECHNICS 1210 Mk5's

CoronaOperator

#9 Post by CoronaOperator »

commander_dan wrote: Can you plot SPL vs Freq graphs using Audio Tool? Have been playing around with it and so far haven't found the function.
Yes you can!

The easiest way to save the graph is to just take a screen capture on your phone. On my Galaxy Alpha I swipe my whole hand from the left side of the screen all the way to the right side of the screen. That saves the screen image as a *.jpg on my phone.

If you want actual data points, then follow the directions I wrote out here: (page 2, second post) http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 6&start=15
Built:
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001

commander_dan

#10 Post by commander_dan »

CoronaOperator wrote:
commander_dan wrote: Can you plot SPL vs Freq graphs using Audio Tool? Have been playing around with it and so far haven't found the function.
Yes you can!

The easiest way to save the graph is to just take a screen capture on your phone. On my Galaxy Alpha I swipe my whole hand from the left side of the screen all the way to the right side of the screen. That saves the screen image as a *.jpg on my phone.

If you want actual data points, then follow the directions I wrote out here: (page 2, second post) http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 6&start=15

Sweet, I tried it this morning after setting up my iMM-6. Here is the graph I got from T30 cab 1 corner loaded. Looks like the right shape at least, but I'd like to get it so that it looks the same as the graphs in the thread "Introducing SPL Chart", is that possible without buying a calibrated SPL meter? if not, can you recommend me one to buy?

Thanks!
Attachments
T30 Cab 1 CL.jpg
Built:
6 T30 (24", 3012LF)
2 OT12 (MA, 3012HO)
2 T24 (18", 3010LF)

Running:
DCX2496
XTi 2002
XTi 4002
TRAKTOR Z2