Priority Frequencies

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
doncolga

Priority Frequencies

#1 Post by doncolga »

Hey all,

I've been trying to learn some things in the recording realm recently and got a tip about the 400 Hz area being a frequency that can contribute to mud/dullness on a mix. Initial response on a dull mix is usually boost the highs. The logic was rather than adding highs to boost clarity, experiment with sensible subtractive EQ around this area (no more than 3 db in my case). I've heard about this for a very long time but never really tried much and it was never so apparent to me as in this EQ band. This worked some real benefit with my own mixes that I record at home and removed some mud and brought out clarity. So last evening on my first gig since June I did this on the PA. I was really, really happy with the results and I didn't do any boosting at all on the eq's. I'm a real fan of subtractive EQ now.

Any other "go to" frequencies you all have experience with?

Thanks!

Donny
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

Radian

Re: Priority Frequencies

#2 Post by Radian »

160-200 Hz baby. :twisted:

+2.5 dB is all you'll ever need.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite

Ryan Sober

#3 Post by Ryan Sober »

The frequencies around 1.5-2kHz are the "clarity" frequencies.
If you have trouble getting an instrument to cut through, a slight wide-q boost in that band can "sweeten" an instrument or vocal. If an instrument is cutting through TOO well, a narrower, deeper cut can give other sounds space to come through.

300-800Hz is a troublesome area as well; it provides the "body". But, too much can wreak havoc on intelligibility and focus. 500Hz is a very common "scoop" frequency on heavily distorted electric guitars, due to the tendency of electric guitar speakers to saturate at lower frequencies and create multiple harmonics in the 500Hz band, which stack up and kill the articulation in the tone.

Grant Bunter

#4 Post by Grant Bunter »

Donny,
If you have a stronger voice it's no surprise to me you have cut 400Hz.
Yep, it can be a "mud" frequency. It's also a "boxy" vocal frequency (also requiring cut) for those with stronger voices, but may need boosting for naturally "thin" sounding vocalists.

Also, I've found 400Hz may need careful slight boosting with guitar driven rock, improves power and body, but if that introduces boxiness to vocals, it's a no go.

Yep, 1.5-2K for clarity is a goodie. I use that on vocals and acoustic guitar often.

Typically, EQ is a horses for courses thing, totally dependant on the mix of the day and the overall application. Glad you found what works for you for your situation...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...