Methods of RTA'ing

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

Re: Methods of RTA'ing

#31 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Rich4349 wrote: Idk if this qualifies, but I've had some (polite) criticism of the bottom end lacking, around 100hz.
Since that's in the range where both the subs and mains are contributing what matters is their combined response. It's also where room response starts to have a heavy influence. And it's where a half-space response chart of the tops does you little good, as when up on a stand it's not in half space. This is a perfect example of where there's no substitute for doing an in-room RTA. If you can't get sufficient output at 100Hz then you'd want to dig deeper.

Rich4349

Re: Methods of RTA'ing

#32 Post by Rich4349 »

How do I dig deeper? Use a shallower rolloff curve from the sub? I've heard some folks mixing filters, like a LR at a higher frequency on the sub and a Butterworth on the mains, etc. Is this within accepted technique in the sound repro field?

I also wonder if the perceived lack in the 100s is connected to how people perceive horns as "not making much bass" due to the reduced distortion. If you're used to hearing a lot more "stuff" going on in a freq range, you might (think you) miss that stuff. I've tried bumping up the EQ down there, but never was very certain of my results. And, yes, I RTAd the room those times.

I guess I'm confused, as I'm fairly certain I've heard many of the regulars on here talk about setting their baseline EQ for the DRs (which I know the consensus is that they need a fair bit, they're definitely not flat), but here it sounds like specific room response is being given more importance. I thought they were both needed steps: the baseline gets you close (coarse tuning) and the room response RTA is your fine tuning. Wouldn't having the baseline reduce the amount of fiddling quite a bit for each room?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!