Should I buy a DEQ2496?

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
Rickisan

Should I buy a DEQ2496?

#1 Post by Rickisan »

I currently have a Mackie 808s (below link) that seems to work pretty well.
http://www.mackie.com/products/808s/
it has 1/4" Unbalanced Power Amp In and Mixer Out available. Two in and two out Right and Left, 4 total.

I am currently running Jack 10's with this mixer and a Behringer Graphic EQ FBQ3102 using jumpers with 1/4" phone plugs on both ends.

I would like to insert the DEQ2496 in the system in place of the older Graphic EQ. I think I will have to buy some XLR to 1/4" jumper cables to attempt to make this work.

Doable or no?

Thanks for any input. Comments.
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

Tom Smit

Re: Should I buy a DEQ2496?

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Yes, doable.
You'll have to make sure that the input gain of the DEQ is adjusted so that the mixer won't overdrive the DEQ.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

I use a FBQ3102 (with a DCX) for my DJ rack.

Is the reason you want to change so you can RTA and feedback destroy with the DEQ?

IMO, that's the only reason to upgrade. If not, the 3102 is already doing the job.

Are your 1/4" to 1/4" leads balanced (ie TRS or "stereo" plugs either end with mic type cable)?
If you are adding "noise" when you use the 3102 and the leads are not balanced, that could be the reason.
Since both the Mackie and the 3102 have balanced outputs and inputs, using balanced leads would guarantee no raising of noise floor...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Rickisan

#4 Post by Rickisan »

Thanks Tom. I will make sure to monitor the input levels. I guess thiis is an important part of the signal path Gain Structure as is sometimes mentioned here? Best way for me to learn is to dive in and purchase the 2496.

Grant, Yes! The fact of being able to RTA in seconds is intriguing. I am currently using the 3102 to reverse mimic the Jack10 response chart and it sounds very good. The Feedback Destroying id forgotten about.

The other concern for me, not having a rack, the 3102 sliders are easily bumped and possibly moved away from the intended settings. If mine was a proper set up i.e., a rack, i would be ok in this regard but the RTA is the main allure.

Unfortunately the Mackie only has the 1/4" available to insert. No xlr mike connections available. I have seen the cables with xlr one one end to 1/4" on the other. ill be learning more about those soon.

Not having years of practical experience connectng up PA gear leaves me slap in the middle of "fear of the unknown" as far as getting the right cables and setting Gain Structure.

That and being a drummer... :hyper:
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

You need an RTA to set the EQ for the room. It can be within the EQ as with the 2496, or it can be via an external device, but one way or another you need to be able to see in real time the in room response to set the EQ. The SPL charts were measured outdoors, so setting EQ to the inverse of the charts is fine for using them outdoors. Indoors everything changes, and it's different in every room.

Grant Bunter

#6 Post by Grant Bunter »

Unfortunately the Mackie only has the 1/4" available to insert. No xlr mike connections available. I have seen the cables with xlr one one end to 1/4" on the other. ill be learning more about those soon.
Yep. By design those leads are unbalanced if they have a mono 1/4" plug. Keep them as short as possible. Or buy or make 4 mike leads with a stereo/TRS 1/4" plug at one end...
That and being a drummer...
No problem as far as I'm concerned, because I'm a drummer too :hyper:
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Rickisan

#7 Post by Rickisan »

Thanks Bill and Grant. I will check back when actually have the unit in hand. Cheers
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Rickisan wrote:Thanks Bill and Grant. I will check back when actually have the unit in hand. Cheers
Be forewarned that the manual is almost useless, google it for sites that give instructions that are useful.

Rickisan

#9 Post by Rickisan »

Thank you kind Sir. I have found one such site at the link below and plan on starting by reading through it thoroughly.
http://www.icycolors.com/nu9n/deq2496.html

I am working toward a small rack mount system consisting of mixer, eq, echo/sound processor, and several amps(and whatever else is needed). Hopefully all contained in one 70-75lb package. Not including spkrs of course.

I would like to get the Jack 10's sounding their best and then add a T-39 or two later.

The venues will be 200-300 people at most. Although there are better BFM choices above 100hz the Jack 10's crossed over to T-39's should do fine for small to medium sized crowds. Or not???
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Rickisan wrote: Although there are better BFM choices above 100hz the Jack 10's crossed over to T-39's should do fine for small to medium sized crowds. Or not???
They work for me even without subs.

Rickisan

#11 Post by Rickisan »

In the spirit of KISS... I will concentrate on learning how to use the DEQ2496 with the all-in-one Mackie 808S and the Jack 10's then go from there.
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba