T48 upper Xover point

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
byacey

T48 upper Xover point

#1 Post by byacey »

How high up can a T48 be run before the response starts ringing? Is 130Hz out of the question?

I would test them myself, but I do all my testing outside and it's presently -30C here.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Bruce Weldy

Re: T48 upper Xover point

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

byacey wrote:How high up can a T48 be run before the response starts ringing? Is 130Hz out of the question?

I would test them myself, but I do all my testing outside and it's presently -30C here.
The problem is that once you get much over 100hz, the sound starts to be easy to locate.....and if you have the subs corner loaded, that wouldn't be a good thing.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

I'm not sure what you mean by "ringing", but the cabinet becomes very locate-able at around 150Hz and higher, making the sound rather unpleasant. Whether passive or active, my ears don't like subs crossed higher than around 125-130Hz.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

DJPhatman wrote:I'm not sure what you mean by "ringing".
That's a resonance caused when parallel walls are 1/2 wavelength apart. 24 inches is 1/2 wavelength at 280Hz. This isn't a concern with a sub, as they shouldn't be run that high, or for that matter within an octave of that, so that the 2nd harmonic doesn't resonate. It is with mains; that's why the DR series has no parallel surfaces, and those in the OTops and Jacks are of the least possible area.

byacey

#5 Post by byacey »

Thanks,
I appreciate the info.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212