DRPA setup, seeking comments

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
chillhuman

DRPA setup, seeking comments

#1 Post by chillhuman »

I am about to set up my DRPA for gigging usage and I wanted to get some feedback please. I haven't dug too deeply into the features of this unit, mostly just auto-eq, GEQ, crossover, limiting, and feedback wizard.

What I would like to do is set up the system where the GEQ stays set and doesn't get touched so the speakers are flat.

Put on some recorded material and use the PEQ to actually EQ the room. There are 2 parametrics for bass, and 3 parametrics for mains.

Once the FOH sounds nice, run the feedback wizard to kill any problem frequencies.

Play.

I have been reading about using the delays to time / phase align the subs to the tops, not sure how to do this with the DRPA.

All comments are welcome / appreciated. I want to take that next step and use more of the DRPA features like intended.

byacey

Re: DRPA setup, seeking comments

#2 Post by byacey »

My advice is to use the parametric to get your speakers as flat as possible without having to introduce any graphic EQ, and leave them set there. Afterwards, use the graph for problem solving in different venues.

The way I did this was to use the automatic EQ function outside, in an open area away from buildings. After performing the auto EQ, look at the resulting graphic EQ settings to see what is cut, and what is being boosted. Then, go to the parametric settings and do a reverse image of the largest peaks and valleys in the graphic eq display. after you repeat this process a few times, the graph display should start looking reasonably flat after performing the auto eq function.

This is desirable because nominally, it introduces the least amount of phase shift, and frees up the graph for notching room resonances. The auto EQ function also only adjusts the graph. If you choose to do it backwards as you suggested, you'll have to use an external RTA or a good set of ears to adjust the parametric to individual venues.

If I remember correctly, you only have 10ms of delay to play around with, which theoretically isn't quite enough for most of the horn loaded sub designs due to the length of the horn passages. I measured my T48's, and the delay was around 13.5 ms at the crossover frequency. I listened to them with and without delay, and couldn't really detect much of a difference. You could add whatever you can to get closer to the ideal if it makes you feel better, but I don't think it's necessary, and I've heard others on the forum make similar comments.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212