DriveRack PA+ Tuning & Indoor Auto EQ

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
djslik

DriveRack PA+ Tuning & Indoor Auto EQ

#1 Post by djslik »

I am in the testing phase of my Titan 48 and Otop 12's and am using a DriveRack PA+ for limiting and eq. Here is the basic method I have come up with so far.

1. Perform basic setup wizard
2. Setup Up Crossover Points
3. Setup Gain Structure and Balance System
4. Auto EQ
5. Setup Output Limiter

Now in regards to the Auto EQ I found an interesting method on the DBX forums http://www.dbxpro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2908 illustrating an indoor Auto EQ Method to flatten the response.

They also mention they do not Auto EQ the subs and manually do that by ear. It also seems that they only Auto EQ one speaker at a time which I don't fully understand. Can you have 2 separate GEQ settings for each top?

Does this method work with the Otop 12's and the Titan 48 subs?

My crossover settings are:

Otop 12 High Pass 100 Hz/LR24/0dB
Max Voltage 30V in Parallel

Titan 48 High Pass Filter 45Hz/BW24/0dB
Low Pass Filter 100Hz/LR24
Max Voltage 50V Single Titan 48
Max Voltage 40V Parallel Titan 48's
Last edited by djslik on Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Weldy

Re: DriveRack PA+ Tuning & Indoor Auto EQ

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

djslik wrote: Titan 48 Low Pass Filter 45Hz/BW24/0dB
High Pass Filter 100Hz/LR24
Max Voltage 50V Single Titan 48
Max Voltage 40V Parallel Titan 48's

I'm sure you mean High Pass at 45 and Low Pass at 100, right?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

djslik

#3 Post by djslik »

Yes sorry got that backwards. Original post has been corrected.

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I'm not sure how that link is going to do you any good trying to EQ a system in a room.

I'm not aware how the driverack can EQ L/R separately. Doesn't really matter, once you turn 'em both on - that's what you are going to listen to, not one side or the other.

Don't overthink it. Put the mic out front a good ways and let it do it's thing. Then, use your ears to tweak it up.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

djslik

#5 Post by djslik »

I think it was supposed to be used as a baseline measurement versus the outdoor method. I live in the city and don't have a wide open field I can take my equipment too.

I guess my question is should you just Auto EQ one speaker since both speakers should have a similar response? If no then I'll just setup speakers per gig and run Auto EQ haha.

Bryce

#6 Post by Bryce »

When you do the initial setup, you should have the option for independent or stereo-linked GEQs. I have always run it in stereo-linked, but will try it both ways when I test my system on Sunday.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Up next: 2 slim THT

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

djslik wrote:
I guess my question is should you just Auto EQ one speaker since both speakers should have a similar response? If no then I'll just setup speakers per gig and run Auto EQ haha.
The reason you use the auto EQ is to fix the room. Running one side and EQing it is worthless, because as soon as you bring up the other side - you've changed all the response in the room by introducing another sound source.

Run the auto EQ with both speakers going just like they are going to be used.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

djslik

#8 Post by djslik »

I ran the Auto EQ yesterday with the T48 and noticed that it actually changed my threshold value on my output limiters. I'm worried that if I did this live and didn't bring a Fluke meter with me I could potentially overdrive the sub and blow the speakers during the event.

Bryce

#9 Post by Bryce »

djslik wrote:I ran the Auto EQ yesterday with the T48 and noticed that it actually changed my threshold value on my output limiters. I'm worried that if I did this live and didn't bring a Fluke meter with me I could potentially overdrive the sub and blow the speakers during the event.
There is no way it should be changing your limiter settings when running the auto eq. Are you sure you didn't power-cycle it after setting the limiter without storing/restoring your program? I accidentally saved my program before activating the limiter, then came back the next day and loaded the program and found the limiter was off.
4x 24" Titan 48
2x DR250
Studiolive 1642
Crown XLS amplifiers
Driverack PA

Up next: 2 slim THT

djslik

#10 Post by djslik »

I'm pretty sure I set the threshold at 0 dB and after the auto eq it jumped up to 18 dB. The geq adjusted a lot of the frequencies below 100 hz. But this was a rough test in my basement so it may not be the norm.

Bruce Weldy

#11 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I only use the EQ wizard, not the set up wizard. Set up is a pain in the butt. If you run it, you have to re-choose your boxes as custom. Only took me once to stay away from that.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210