DEQ Auto EQ settings for DR250 ???

EQ guys are using on their cabs/systems. A good starting place if you don't have your own RTA.
DanielNY

DEQ Auto EQ settings for DR250 ???

#1 Post by DanielNY »

Anyone have a picture or txt result of their DEQ RTA Auto EQ adjustments for the DR250? I know Dave Carter had something posted but those pictures are no longer available.

Thanks
Built: T-60's, T48's, T-39's, DR250's, DR200's, Pro SLA's

WB

Re: DEQ Auto EQ settings for DR250 ???

#2 Post by WB »

Out side full space*

Before

After

* In actual use I bumped all the sliders up a little, to bring them closer to net zero cut.
* Has 12 element melded array without filters. 2510 driver.
Tomorrow I'm going to stop procrastinating - WB

DanielNY

#3 Post by DanielNY »

WB wrote:Out side full space*

Before

After

* In actual use I bumped all the sliders up a little, to bring them closer to net zero cut.
* Has 12 element melded array without filters. 2510 driver.
Suuuuuuuuweet!

This works, thanks WB!

DanielNY

#4 Post by DanielNY »

I havent had the opportunity to do a full open space RTA measurement but I have done some indoors at 10 & 20 feet (yes, I know the standard is 33ft). Although my DR's sound very crisp and clear when eq'd by ear using all the various methods I've read about here in the forum, nothing beats using a measurement mic through an RTA to get them flat. I would never have been able to properly eq my DR's flat without the resulting curve of an RTA measurement. I was happy with my DR's before using a measurement mic to EQ flat, Now they sound super sweet.

I went with the Dayton EMM-6 and not because its cheaper than the Behringer.....The best $40 bucks I've spent in a long time.

WB, are your DR's sealed?

doncolga

#5 Post by doncolga »

DanielNY wrote:I havent had the opportunity to do a full open space RTA measurement but I have done some indoors at 10 & 20 feet (yes, I know the standard is 33ft). Although my DR's sound very crisp and clear when eq'd by ear using all the various methods I've read about here in the forum, nothing beats using a measurement mic through an RTA to get them flat. I would never have been able to properly eq my DR's flat without the resulting curve of an RTA measurement. I was happy with my DR's before using a measurement mic to EQ flat, Now they sound super sweet.

I went with the Dayton EMM-6 and not because its cheaper than the Behringer.....The best $40 bucks I've spent in a long time.

WB, are your DR's sealed?
I'm hoping to do this this week with my Otop 12's as my DEQ should arrive Tuesday. Sure hope it does the trick. I've had trouble getting things where I wanted by ear with the 15 band graphic I'm using.
Donny Collins
Built:
Two 18" Tuba 30's 3012 LF
Two 26" Tuba 30's Lab 12
Two OmniTop 12's DL 2512 (Melded Array)
Presonus Studio One DAW
Harrison Consoles MixBus 32C DAW

SeisTres

#6 Post by SeisTres »

DanielNY wrote: I went with the Dayton EMM-6 ....The best $40 bucks I've spent in a long time.
+111111

Just like a voltmeter and the speaker cables you use to run your speakers, this is something that should be in everyone's equipment box. Even if you don't have an dcx or drpa, you can still use rew to flatten them out and save the setting on an eq.
Built:6 t39, t18, 4 Jack10, 2 autotuba, 2 SLA,2 wedge, 2 TT, 2 Tritrix, curved sla, 2 otop212, 2 SLA pros, Ported 8" sub, 2 ported 210, dual ported 8" sub

WB

#7 Post by WB »

DanielNY wrote: WB, are your DR's sealed?
Kind of a long story.

Firstly, I'd like to mention I have a single DR250 that I use for electric bass back line. I cross it over to either a fearful sub, or two O12TB subs.

I experimented with porting and measured the results. Instead of porting as per the plans, I used the recessed plastic handle to provide the base for a port opening. I set up a jig for my saw to cut the bottom out of the handle at various size openings and then measured the response of each. I ended up picking this one.

After having done all that I decided I liked a higher crossover setting and didn't need it ported, so installed an unmodified handle back in and now it's sealed.

Some build pics,
part 1
part 2

DanielNY

#8 Post by DanielNY »

doncolga wrote: I'm hoping to do this this week with my Otop 12's as my DEQ should arrive Tuesday. Sure hope it does the trick. I've had trouble getting things where I wanted by ear with the 15 band graphic I'm using.
Usually the more options you have, the easier it is to screw things up. Tweaking by ear takes some patience and skill but I would have never imagined making the extreme eq adjustments to make things flat....The mic takes the guess work out.

Did you get or do you have a measurment mic?

DanielNY

#9 Post by DanielNY »

SeisTres wrote:
+111111

Just like a voltmeter and the speaker cables you use to run your speakers, this is something that should be in everyone's equipment box. Even if you don't have an dcx or drpa, you can still use rew to flatten them out and save the setting on an eq.
+1

Fortunately I had the DEQ already. My measurment mic from years ago went missing and I never bothered replacing it. I don't know about the other bfm models but the DR's really shine when they are properly eq'ed. Definitely something I wont part with, highly recommended.

DanielNY

#10 Post by DanielNY »

WB wrote:
DanielNY wrote: WB, are your DR's sealed?
Kind of a long story.

Firstly, I'd like to mention I have a single DR250 that I use for electric bass back line. I cross it over to either a fearful sub, or two O12TB subs.

I experimented with porting and measured the results. Instead of porting as per the plans, I used the recessed plastic handle to provide the base for a port opening. I set up a jig for my saw to cut the bottom out of the handle at various size openings and then measured the response of each. I ended up picking this one.

After having done all that I decided I liked a higher crossover setting and didn't need it ported, so installed an unmodified handle back in and now it's sealed.

Some build pics,
part 1
part 2

I remember reading the thread and going through all the pictures before starting my own DR's. I asked about the tuning because I compared your RTA to mine and there is quite a difference in the 100hz - 500hz range. I figured it was due to the tuning difference, I am using the 2x 1/4" ports.

I am also wondering if you did the RTA with a sub in place???

WB

#11 Post by WB »

DanielNY wrote:
I remember reading the thread and going through all the pictures before starting my own DR's. I asked about the tuning because I compared your RTA to mine and there is quite a difference in the 100hz - 500hz range. I figured it was due to the tuning difference, I am using the 2x 1/4" ports.

I am also wondering if you did the RTA with a sub in place???
The RTA I did with the DR250 by itself with the DEQ2496 I did full space, and I limit and generally don't allow the RTA to go below 200 Hz. I find you get screwy results if you try to Auto EQ to much low end. Also I should mention I always have the "Room Correction" option on when using the AEQ, because it will sound better.

Where you see me measuring for ports or DR and Sub together, I'm only concerned up to about 200 Hz but will go up to about 300 Hz for a bit of overlap and also I'm using ground plane measurements. In this situation I'm not using Auto EQ but instead using sine waves and measurement mic and plotting the readings. I don't find pink noise of much use in the lower regions. So basically, I like to Auto EQ the top box first for midrange and highs in full space, then combine Sub and Top and measure the lows and low mids which I will manually move the GEQ sliders based on my readings to remove all the peaks and valleys. I don't shoot for a flat response, but a slightly rising response from 40 Hz to 200 Hz, and the AEQ naturally falling response from 200 Hz on up. The reason for the naturally falling response is because of the "room correction". This is a curve that gets me very close to what I like but will still tweak the low mids to taste at each gig. I usually bump the 150 Hz region using a PEQ if I want to punch thru a little.

I noticed you said you were doing your RTA indoors. That would probably account for large variations in results. I'm not saying not to do them indoors, but don't expect them to be meaningful outside of that particular room.

One conclusion I've come to is to basically never trust other peoples amateurish (including mine) SPL charts on the internet and always do your own measurements. There are too many variables.
DanielNY wrote:I asked about the tuning because I compared your RTA to mine and there is quite a difference in the 100hz - 500hz range. I figured it was due to the tuning difference, I am using the 2x 1/4" ports.
The various tuning options would change things mostly below 100 Hz. The differences your seeing between 100hz - 500hz is most likely room reflections since your measuring indoors.

DanielNY

#12 Post by DanielNY »

WB wrote:
....I noticed you said you were doing your RTA indoors. That would probably account for large variations in results. I'm not saying not to do them indoors, but don't expect them to be meaningful outside of that particular room.
It's hard to explain but my astonishment was due to the amount of eq it takes to make the DR's get into their sweet spot. Just getting a baseline to "correct" or smooth their response made all the difference it the world. Any room correction is more to compensate not so much to correct. So I tried your "full space" adjustment between 100hz and 2khz because your DR's only have 6 piezo elements? So I used my own adjustments above 2k. This also made my DR's sound very good in the that passband so I know there are all kinds of variables in play here. Thanks WB for the reference material, I now have a baseline to work with for some upcoming summer festivals that will take place in an open field, end of June. If I dont get to run some of my own measurements I have something to fall back on now.

Rich4349

Re: DEQ Auto EQ settings for DR250 ??? HELP!

#13 Post by Rich4349 »

I've been trying to use the RTA on my DEQ2496, with no luck. I don't know if I'm doing it right. I found a youtube video from a guy in the UK, but he goes super slowly over the truly obvious stuff, then glosses over the more important stuff. Not finding a lot online so far.

I've tried using the onboard pink noise, as well as an mp3 of it from my source. I have the right source picked on the i/o page, but not sure beyond that. When I hit the analyze button, the sound of the pink noise drops off dramatically, and it then sounds like plain old noisy noise, not nice uniform pink noise.

Can someone go step by step through the process?

Thanks in advance!
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Chris_Allen

#14 Post by Chris_Allen »

It should be as easy as, plug your mic in the back, set up the location of the mic and cab, hit the RTA button, set the gain and hit go. When it stabilises, hit the done button and you should have your EQ.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Rich4349

#15 Post by Rich4349 »

Set the gain... on the amp? The DEQ? The source?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!