Greetings from Wisconsin

Helivox

Greetings from Wisconsin

#1 Post by Helivox »

Hello everyone, figured it's time to stop lurking in the shadows and participate. I'm kicking things off with a pair of J15's, been studying my plans and received my parts my only hold up at this point is an old craftsman table saw that has chosen to redefine square. So I decided to do a rehearsal build of sorts upswing the same tools I build furniture with, handsaws and plane's, giving me time to contemplate what accelerant I'd like to use to help my old table saw into its next life. That being said I've been out of the table saw market and am open to any suggestions as I look for a replacement, moderately priced I know cheap isn't going to necessarily bring me quality. Anyway, I look forward to it chatting with everyone in the future.
Cheers!

Tom Smit

Re: Greetings from Wisconsin

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

Is your saw worn out, or does it just need to be squared up? If the blade is not square to the mitre slot, it needs to be adjusted. A combination square can be used. http://woodworkingtips.com/etips/etip030411sn.html

After that, the fence has to be aligned absolutely square with the mitre slot. a gap of 0.001-0.003" gap on the back will help prevent kick-back.
TomS

Helivox

#3 Post by Helivox »

I believe it's worn, seems like there's a bad bearing on the arbor.

DJPhatman

#4 Post by DJPhatman »

Circular saw and the saw sled. Actually, a couple of sleds, for the straight and angled cuts.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Bruce Weldy

#5 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Helivox wrote:I believe it's worn, seems like there's a bad bearing on the arbor.
Should be easy enough to get parts for the old Craftsman stuff. I'd do that long before I'd use a circular saw....but that's just me. I like to make repetitive cuts knowing they will all be the exact same dimensions. The time you put into tuning up the table saw will be more than saved over the additional time spent cutting panels any other way.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."