Newbiie to diy cab

Ismael

Newbiie to diy cab

#1 Post by Ismael »

Hey guys, I'm from Austin and planning on building either the otop12 or dr250. But probably do the otop 12 to get my feet wet. Also what's the difference in terms of throw dispersion/throw between the otop12 with piezo tweeter and otop12 compression horn¿? Eventually I would like two cabs per side and adding an undecided sub and in the future possibly do 4xotop12 per side.

Thanks.

Tom Smit

Re: Newbiie to diy cab

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Throw, and dispersion are near identical between the flat piezo array and a compression horn. A melded array opens up the dispersion up to 120 degrees, and is best suited as the bottom box of a pile of cabs in an array. This is for the first 30 feet, after which it's benefit is minimized and the flat array would be all that is needed beyond the 30m feet.
TomS

Grant Bunter

#3 Post by Grant Bunter »

Hello and welcome. :)

Do one or the other if you're going to build more than a pair eventually, ie either the Otop 12 or the DR250.
Not both. They don't play nicely together because they have different phase response.

Toms got the dispersion covered, but yes, 120 degrees for the melded array, about 100 degrees for the flat array or the CD horn...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Read my first post here....

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =7&t=24295

People often question whether to use the melded or CD horn. It depends on the room (how wide do you need the coverage) and the usage (live sound vs. DJ).

I have both and believe that the CD horn (the one crossed at 1.2k) is the best option for live sound.

You are welcome to run down to New Braunfels to hear both and make up your own mind.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

whines

#5 Post by whines »

Hi Ismael!

If you don't already have a source for Baltic Birch in Austin, I suggest Fine lumber:

http://www.finelumber.com/

They've supplied me for all my builds. Good stuff!
2xJ15, THT, 4xT39 3012 (2x15", 2x20"), 2xSLA Pro, 2x short SLA Pro (Dayton), W6