Hi from Wisconsin

Shawn

Hi from Wisconsin

#1 Post by Shawn »

Hello everyone, been reading on here for some time, so I figured it was time to join. I want to build home theater components for my basement and have recently bought plans for the SLA, TLAH and TTHT. Currently, I have one of those Sony home theater in a box setups that I upgraded with rebuilt Acoustic Research TSW-210 mains which do have very crisp highs and rebuilt center channel, but the center channel and subwoofer are definitely lacking.

The basement is L-Shaped with the tv at one end of the "L" and listening position in the outer corner of the "L" (if that makes sense). 6.5' tall ceilings (very low) and about a 15'-20' listening distance. I am thinking of TLAH mains and the curved SLA center with 1 or 2 TTHT's down the road. Any advice or recommendations on number of drivers or even speaker selection? Will I see the benefits of the TLAH mains over the SLA's and/or the difference in driver quantity for each?

Sort of on a budget and will be piecing together as I can, so I don't want to just go big or go home if it isn't needed. But I also don't want to wish I had built them differently as well. I guess, just looking for what could be considered an ideal setup.

Thanks in advance! Unbelievable community of people on here from what I have read already!

DJPhatman

Re: Hi from Wisconsin

#2 Post by DJPhatman »

Hey Shawn, welcome to the fun-house, er, I mean, forum! :hyper: :loler:

I would suggest you start with a THT. I kind of figure to "work from the bottom, up!" Just my opinion. Follow that up with a curved SLA center, and surround satellites. Finally, the TLAH or SLA left and right, and you are done! Yeah, right!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jimbo7

#3 Post by jimbo7 »

Agree with the sub first. After you build that, it wont take long till you'll need mains to keep up. :chainsaw:
Also, learn from other's mistakes and just buck up for the premium recommend drivers. Buy one cry once.
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Welcome to the forum! You've been reading for a while? It's about time that you signed up! :lol:
TomS

Shawn

#5 Post by Shawn »

I tend to do a lot of research before diving into things. So I have been trying to read through any of the posts related to home theater setups. Which has been very helpful.

I'll go with the advice of sticking with the drivers recommended in the plans, I like the motto of "buy once, cry once". I hate trying to save a little money and buy something only to regret it wishing I spent the money on what I should have bought.

Any thoughts on SLA mains vs TLAH mains? From what I gather, SLA's would be for a shorter distance and TLAH's for longer distances and are a bit louder on the low end. Would that matter much if I have one or two THT's to go with it?

If space is not a premium, is the 9 driver curved SLA the way to go since that is where most of the dialogue comes from?

Sorry, quite a few questions, but I'm getting excited already and would rather have some advice rather than just jumping into what I think is the right decision.

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

Shawn wrote:I tend to do a lot of research before diving into things. So I have been trying to read through any of the posts related to home theater setups. Which has been very helpful.
Smart! Keep digging! There is a ton of info in this forum, without all the :bull: you usually see on them. We may joke around with you, tease you, but we love this forum! and the people that take the time, like you, to read and understand that a lot of what people are being fed in regards to speakers and placement, is total :bull: !
Shawn wrote:I'll go with the advice of sticking with the drivers recommended in the plans, I like the motto of "buy once, cry once". I hate trying to save a little money and buy something only to regret it wishing I spent the money on what I should have bought.
Exactly why we say it!
Shawn wrote:Any thoughts on SLA mains vs TLAH mains? From what I gather, SLA's would be for a shorter distance and TLAH's for longer distances and are a bit louder on the low end. Would that matter much if I have one or two THT's to go with it?
Go with what fits in your environment. The TLAH will give more of a "transparent" audio, but the SLA is no slouch, either. The crossover point is kind of a matter of personal taste. Some like it at 70Hz, some like it at 110Hz. Set it all up, and play around with it until it pleases your ears.
Shawn wrote:If space is not a premium, is the 9 driver curved SLA the way to go since that is where most of the dialogue comes from?
In a word, YES!
Shawn wrote:Sorry, quite a few questions, but I'm getting excited already and would rather have some advice rather than just jumping into what I think is the right decision.
No worries! While we get asked the same questions ad nauseam we are here to help you succeed with your build!
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice