Newbie from Colorado

jdmrivera

Newbie from Colorado

#1 Post by jdmrivera »

Hi - I'm a BBQ guy and cook for outdoor parties of 50-200 people. It would be great to have some good speakers to play music while we're cooking and eating. Music would be whatever pandora station the crowd likes but mostly modern rock and pop.

I was thinking of building an Omni 15 Tallboy (also purchased plans for SLA Pro and T39) and using an amp that I can connect a mp3 player, smartphone, or laptop as the source. Being a total noob I'm not sure what sort of amp I'd need for this application.

I'm open to all suggestions and thanks to the great website!
Built:
Omni Tallboy 15 w/3015LF (My BBQ music Machine!)
2 Lab 12 T39s 24" Wide
4 OT12s, 2 Melded Array, 2 Flat Array

Bruce Weldy

Re: Newbie from Colorado

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Just kinda' depends on how far you want to take it.

A Tall Boy running mono would be pretty slick and compact. With a little 2 channel mixer, you would be able to play music and make announcements if needed. An inexpensive amp from Behringer would power it fine.

The SLA Pro and T39 would be bigger, louder, and would require more gear to run properly. If mono, you could do it with one amp.....stereo would take two (or a 4 channel amp).

What kind of volume and coverage do you need?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jdmrivera

#3 Post by jdmrivera »

Thanks Bruce. I want to keep things fairly simple to setup which is what attracted me to the Tallboy. I'd say the crowd I'm concerned about the most (cooks and folks helping) is generally within an area of 50x50 ft. maybe a little more.

I'd like to keep the gear requirements as simple as possible, as it is I already haul around a huge amount of cooking gear that takes a day to load, unload, setup and do it again the next day when cook is done! When we roast pigs we're up all night so it would be nice if the speakers still sound decent at low volume levels.

I just noticed a post for a mobile DJ system (http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... ry#p264751) that looks interesting.

Thanks again.
Joe
Built:
2 Lab 12 T39s 24" Wide

Bruce Weldy

#4 Post by Bruce Weldy »

I did a little looking.....

With a tall boy and a single Behringer iNuke1000dsp - all you'd need is an iPad and a cable.

The iNuke can be set to Bridge mode (not for the increased power, but for the routing) - that let's you plug L and R into channels 1 and 2. The amp will sum those together and send them through the amp in mono.

It also has EQ available along with a crossover (to set a high pass that will protect your speakers) and a limiter (to protect your speakers and keep the volume under control).

That would be the simplest setup I can imagine that still has EQ and protection.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

jdmrivera

#5 Post by jdmrivera »

Thanks. That's a huge help.

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

Your decision also needs to include what will you use for a power source? Are you planning to go 12 Volt, or A/C mains? If you are going 12V or non-inverter generators, Behringer DSP amps, or any DSP amps, are out. You only need 2 amp channels to run a bi-amp system, tops and subs. This would be how I would recommend you go. Gives you the best sound (at all volume levels), is expandable, and will sound the best. All-in-one cabs, like the Omni 15, are a compromise in sound. But, I'm a "want the best for my efforts" kind of guy. :twisted: :twisted: :roll: :cowboy:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

jdmrivera

#7 Post by jdmrivera »

Thanks DJPhatman. 12V has it's appeal to me but I suppose in my goal of keeping it simple, A/C might be easier. For the sort of venue I'll be doing (cooking, eating, drinking) do you think tops and subs will be noticeably better sounding? Which tops and subs would you recommend for my guesstimated 50x50 outdoor area?
Built:
2 Lab 12 T39s 24" Wide

DJPhatman

#8 Post by DJPhatman »

jdmrivera wrote:Thanks DJPhatman. 12V has it's appeal to me but I suppose in my goal of keeping it simple, A/C might be easier. For the sort of venue I'll be doing (cooking, eating, drinking) do you think tops and subs will be noticeably better sounding? Which tops and subs would you recommend for my guesstimated 50x50 outdoor area?
This depends on the question only you can answer: How loud do you want to go?

DR250s and Titan subs will always be my go-to recommendation. DR250 are kind of a long build, but well worth the effort. No matter what, I would always suggest using them in stacks of 2 or more. They just sound so much sweeter. For the Titans, I reckon T39, as wide as possible, and at least 4 of them. Not for the lower high-pass frequency, but because of the lack of boundary loading, outdoors. They will give you all the low end you will need for the music genres you listed. I know this will add an extra amp channel for the subs, but it will still all run off a single 15 amp 120VAC circuit.

Playing music will attract extra attendees, and it is better to have too much rig than not enough.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

CoronaOperator

#9 Post by CoronaOperator »

DJPhatman wrote:
DR250s and Titan subs will always be my go-to recommendation. DR250 are kind of a long build, but well worth the effort. No matter what, I would always suggest using them in stacks of 2 or more. They just sound so much sweeter. For the Titans, I reckon T39, as wide as possible, and at least 4 of them. Not for the lower high-pass frequency, but because of the lack of boundary loading, outdoors. They will give you all the low end you will need for the music genres you listed. I know this will add an extra amp channel for the subs, but it will still all run off a single 15 amp 120VAC circuit.
While that is a great recommendation DJPhatman, that will also get him nightclub/rock concert volume levels for 800 people and take a trailer to haul. I'm not sure that is what he is after. I'm thinking he is looking for background music.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

jdmrivera

#10 Post by jdmrivera »

Thanks for all your input!

CoronaOperator has it right with the background music. I think I'll start with the Omni 15 Tallboy and see how that works out. The cooking and eating is the main event, but who knows - maybe I'll trade in my smoker for a DJ rig!
Built:
2 Lab 12 T39s 24" Wide

CoronaOperator

#11 Post by CoronaOperator »

jdmrivera wrote: but who knows - maybe I'll trade in my smoker for a DJ rig!
DJ's are always looking for free food and you could use it instead of a haze machine to make the lights look pretty.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

Grant Bunter

#12 Post by Grant Bunter »

jdmrivera wrote:Thanks for all your input!

CoronaOperator has it right with the background music. I think I'll start with the Omni 15 Tallboy and see how that works out. The cooking and eating is the main event, but who knows - maybe I'll trade in my smoker for a DJ rig!
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I just gonna throw this out there.
Forget the Omni 15 TB. It is large enough to be troublesome pack space wise, and you might find it difficult to lift by yourself (if you want to place it on a stand.

Before you proceed, think perhaps about a pair of Jack 15's instead.
A pair of full range cabs is as simple as it gets for background music, but with a pair you get a bit more coverage. A J15 should beat it's commercial equivalent in terms of output, so after the cookin is done and they want you to crank for the after party, well, you're good to go...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Svartrose

#13 Post by Svartrose »

Welcome to the forum! Let the sun shine and start BBQ'íng! :)

Nomatter what kind of speakers you're building, don't forget to think about how you're going to place them. People absorb sound so it's nice if you can place your (top)speakers high enough so the sound can travel above people. That way everybody can hear it clear and the people who are near the speakers don't hurt there ears.

Svartrose

#14 Post by Svartrose »

Grant Bunter wrote:
Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I just gonna throw this out there.
Forget the Omni 15 TB. It is large enough to be troublesome pack space wise, and you might find it difficult to lift by yourself (if you want to place it on a stand.

Before you proceed, think perhaps about a pair of Jack 15's instead.
A pair of full range cabs is as simple as it gets for background music, but with a pair you get a bit more coverage. A J15 should beat it's commercial equivalent in terms of output, so after the cookin is done and they want you to crank for the after party, well, you're good to go...
+1!

jdmrivera

#15 Post by jdmrivera »

So many choices! :noob:

One reason I thought I wanted the tallboy is it looks like it has better low end sound capabilities (maybe I had too much smoke in my eyes reading the SPL charts! :shock: ). I did consider the need for two speakers but figured I'd start with one and add another later. I've got three months to get ready for my first party.

I don't have the Jack plans yet so let's say I might have theoretically gotten ahead of myself and ordered these parts, can I put them to use with a Jack 15?

Eminence APT-150 Super Tweeter with Horn 100 x 50
Eminence Alpha-6CBMRA 6-1/2" Ferrite Sealed Back Midrange Speaker Driver
Eminence Kappalite 3015LF Neo 15" Speaker Driver
Built:
2 Lab 12 T39s 24" Wide