A guy from the Sublime Soundsystem

Noclu

A guy from the Sublime Soundsystem

#1 Post by Noclu »

Hey everybody,

as i started my first thread here some days ago, i thaught it would be nice to introduce myself!

My Name is Phil, musician and Soundsystem guy from Muenster - Germany!

We just built our first pair of T60s to supersede our blewn 4 x 15" Scoops (4 T60s are planned)

(Some pictures can be found here : https://www.facebook.com/SublimeSound/ )

With me joining the forum i hope to learn some more about Speakers / Cabs / Technic and everything that surrounds the thematic of shaking floors.

Cheers,

Noclu

Tom Smit

Re: A guy from the Sublime Soundsystem

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

With me joining the forum i hope to learn some more about Speakers / Cabs / Technic and everything that surrounds the thematic of shaking floors.
Oh, you will!

Welcome to the forum!
How are you liking the sound from your T60 subs? The green looks nice.

About the material that you used for the T60, is that only for the prototype, or are you using it for all of the T60s?
TomS

Noclu

#3 Post by Noclu »

Hey Tom!

Thank you !

I like the sound alot, much cleaner than the scoops...The reggae heads miss the "distortion" a little , but SPL makes that up, hahaha !

We made the prototype out of OSB (dunno if it's called like this in your country) and the final version out of birch ply (multiplex) as suggested in the plans

Cheers,

noclu

88h88

#4 Post by 88h88 »

Reggae heads seem to like a lot of bad sounding things otherwise why are those super bullet tweeters so prevalent on soundsystems?

I particularly love the oldschool ones that need a guy running a mixer, went to a gig once where the dude running the mixer realised he was about to blow his scoops up and the panic on his face was a treat as he scrambled to turn it all down. The next week I rolled in with 2 T60s, 2 OT12s and an 8U rack and sounded better. Never quite understood it.

T60s are boss, glad you're liking them.
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Noclu

#5 Post by Noclu »

I personally like the sound of some Soundsystems alot. It depends on the style of music that is being played. not a fan of the "lots of bullet tweeters" thing, but they sometimes can add a little brilliance from like 10 or 7 khz in. Really a thing of liking.

I like the "warm" (I know about the physical problems) sound of scoops.

Shame that we had no real opportunities to play out our t60 completely.
Did a little test in a big room, sounded good!
Played our first gig on them in a too small room with lots of wood that rattled and absorbed. Hope we get the chance to hear them outdoors, soon!

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#6 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

88h88 wrote:Reggae heads seem to like a lot of bad sounding things otherwise why are those super bullet tweeters so prevalent on soundsystems?
It's what they're used to. Jamaica is cash poor, to say the least, so they're very DIY oriented. Unfortunately most of what they put together is done with very little, if any, technical knowledge, so the sound isn't very good. Since that mediocre sound is all that they've ever been exposed to they don't know what good sound is. Kind of like Bose owners in the US. :loler:

Mkulu

#7 Post by Mkulu »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
88h88 wrote:Reggae heads seem to like a lot of bad sounding things otherwise why are those super bullet tweeters so prevalent on soundsystems?
It's what they're used to. Jamaica is cash poor, to say the least, so they're very DIY oriented. Unfortunately most of what they put together is done with very little, if any, technical knowledge, so the sound isn't very good. Since that mediocre sound is all that they've ever been exposed to they don't know what good sound is. Kind of like Bose owners in the US. :loler:

Bose owners here too! :lol: