Hewitt, NJ

BSAphex

Hewitt, NJ

#1 Post by BSAphex »

Hello,
I found this site and have been reading as I find time. There is just so much to read. And much is certainly over my head, but very interesting.

I have been wanting to build a 2 x 10" bass cab and keep it simple. Does anyone know what the closest plan on this site would be?

Also, I have an old Laney 50w bass combo amp that needs a new 12"/4ohm speaker, but I'm having a hard time finding one.
Any advice on the best forum to post that thread on?

Thanks much.
Looking forward to learning from you all.
Best,
Dennis

Tom Smit

Re: Hewitt, NJ

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi Dennis, and welcome to the forum! Keep reading and you'll learn much!

For a 2x10 cab I would recommend building two Jack10 cabs with a single driver in each. Two cabs are more utile than just one because you can bring enough rig for the gig. If you were to build them with full tweeter arrays complete with on/ half on/ all off, then you would have a pretty decent set of PA cabs as well. :clap:
TomS

Chris_Allen

#3 Post by Chris_Allen »

Hi Dennis,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you get the amp section out of your combo? You could then mount it in its own box and create a head and build a cab or two.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

BSAphex

#4 Post by BSAphex »

Hey Tom and Chris,
Thanks for your thoughts on the cabs and the combo amp.
I'll check out the Jack 10s. Sounds like a good option.
As for the combo amp, I hadn't though of removing the head, but it is an option. For that one I was hoping to to just make it quick and easy by replacing the driver and being done with it. I just can't seem to find a 12"/4ohm speaker that is bass rated and not costing a fortune. There is this speaker, but it's listed as guitar speakers. Not sure if I'd be shooting myself in the foot to just buy it.
https://www.parts-express.com/eminence- ... m--290-886

Thanks again for your advice.
Best,
Dennis

LelandCrooks

#5 Post by LelandCrooks »

Nope. It will be a terrible bass guitar driver.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

Can you post a picture of the old driver, or does it have any specs or numbers on it? Look especially hard all over the magnet.

Otherwise, post the internal dimensions of just the cabinet, and the size, shape and depth of any ports or ducts. You can't just drop in any old driver, and expect to get desirable results...
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

BSAphex

#7 Post by BSAphex »

DJPhatman wrote:Can you post a picture of the old driver, or does it have any specs or numbers on it? Look especially hard all over the magnet.

Otherwise, post the internal dimensions of just the cabinet, and the size, shape and depth of any ports or ducts. You can't just drop in any old driver, and expect to get desirable results...
A pic of the old driver is below.

Internal dimensions for the cab are:
16"w x 12.5"t x 9"d

Here's another driver I found online that might be a better fit, but the wattage is much higher than needed.
http://rvrb.io/2015-12-inch-neo-6-0dh
If I'm reading things correct its ok to have a speaker rated for more watts than the amp can supply, right?

Thanks for the help.
Dennis
FullSizeRender.jpg

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#8 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

BSAphex wrote: Internal dimensions for the cab are:
16"w x 12.5"t x 9"d
That's too small for any twelve to give a good result. Even a ten really wants no less than 1.5 cu ft. A cab that small is worthless for live use, I'd put in a cheap driver for bedroom practice only.

BSAphex

#9 Post by BSAphex »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:That's too small for any twelve to give a good result. Even a ten really wants no less than 1.5 cu ft. A cab that small is worthless for live use, I'd put in a cheap driver for bedroom practice only.
Yeah, its just a little practice amp. Would never use it for anything live.
Just having trouble finding a 12" 4ohm bass speaker that's cheap.

Is it ok to use a driver with a high wattage rating (600 peak) even if the amp is only 50 watts?
The used driver I saw was rated at 600w.

Thanks again.
Best,
Dennis

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#10 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

BSAphex wrote: Yeah, its just a little practice amp. Would never use it for anything live.
Just having trouble finding a 12" 4ohm bass speaker that's cheap.
Unless its a tube amp with a 4 ohm transformer tap only you don't need to use a 4 ohm driver.
Is it ok to use a driver with a high wattage rating (600 peak) even if the amp is only 50 watts?
There's no reason why not.

BSAphex

#11 Post by BSAphex »

BSAphex wrote:Unless its a tube amp with a 4 ohm transformer tap only you don't need to use a 4 ohm driver.
Hi Bill,
Its just a simple 50 watt solid state amp. So you're saying the ubiquitous 8 ohm 12" drivers should be fine to use?

Thanks for your help.
Dennis