Hello from NoVa

An Ex Parrot

Hello from NoVa

#1 Post by An Ex Parrot »

Hi--newbie here from Northern Virginia.

Question for the seasoned BFM pros: I want to build a small bass cab and no idea whether to do a Simplexx, Jack or Omni.

A few background criteria:

--Will be either a 112 or 115--not sure yet which size I'll use for the main driver.

--I have a full wood shop, so ease of building isn't really a reason to choose one from another.

--And I mostly play in my basement, so weight/transportability isn't really an issue.

--Neither is volume: I'm sure any of the three will be plenty loud for my purposes!

So, those factors aside, what are the important differences between the three models? I've read all the descriptions and am just not sure which way to go. Appreciate any thoughts!

Thanks,

AEP

David Raehn

Re: Hello from NoVa

#2 Post by David Raehn »

Hey Ex Parrot,
Greetings from not-quite-northern VA (although my day job is in Manassas)!
Most of the bass players here seem to lean toward the Jack. I haven't heard them yet, but they seem to be the best bang for the buck-size-simplicity (keep in mind that this is a world-wide forum and there are quite a few of them out there).
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

And I mostly play in my basement
Do you also play live?
TomS

An Ex Parrot

#4 Post by An Ex Parrot »

Tom Smit wrote:Hi, and welcome to the forum!

And I mostly play in my basement
Do you also play live?
I used to, and would like to again at some point, but my "real" job and family responsibilities make that difficult.

AEP

An Ex Parrot

#5 Post by An Ex Parrot »

draehn wrote:Hey Ex Parrot,
Greetings from not-quite-northern VA (although my day job is in Manassas)!
Most of the bass players here seem to lean toward the Jack. I haven't heard them yet, but they seem to be the best bang for the buck-size-simplicity (keep in mind that this is a world-wide forum and there are quite a few of them out there).
Colonial Beach is a beautiful area--and quite a commute from Manassas! But I have a friend who lives just across the river from you and commutes daily into DC, so your commute probably isn't much worse than hers.

I have been leaning toward the Jack and appreciate your feedback.

AEP

Tom Smit

#6 Post by Tom Smit »

Considering your criteria, and that you might play live, I would suggest a Jack112 w/melded array piezos and w/ a switch for half-on/off/full-on piezos. This would be a very versatile cab, and if you build a twin then you would have plenty of rig for the gig or you have a small powerful PA.
TomS

LelandCrooks

#7 Post by LelandCrooks »

And I still like your username. :lol:
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

An Ex Parrot

#8 Post by An Ex Parrot »

Was it really almost a year ago I first posted?!! Still haven't built--still mulling options. Paralysis by analysis, as they say.

I decided I want to consolidate equipment in my basement: Rack mount power amp, with rackmounted preamps for guitar, bass and keyboard. Then there's the question of speakers for all this. A few thoughts:

1. Can I find one speaker build that will work for all this: guitar, bass and keyboard? My guess is that "one size fits all" approach is destined to sound like crap for one instrument or another.

2. Assuming separate speakers are needed, I'm thinking Jack for bass/keys, then a separate XF210 for guitar.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

AEP

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

An Ex Parrot wrote: 1. Can I find one speaker build that will work for all this: guitar, bass and keyboard? My guess is that "one size fits all" approach is destined to sound like crap for one instrument or another.

2. Assuming separate speakers are needed, I'm thinking Jack for bass/keys, then a separate XF210 for guitar.

P
1. Yes the Jack would be the go to for this.....IF you are using a guitar modeler with amp simulation.

2. This is the better option for all concerned.....build a J15 for the bass and Keys and the XF210 for the guitar if you are using a standard amp.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#10 Post by Tom Smit »

...what Bruce said.
TomS

An Ex Parrot

#11 Post by An Ex Parrot »

Fantastic. Thanks for the suggestions. One more question, this time regarding a power amp. Thinking of using this Behringer because it's cheap (why else would one choose Behringer?):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU1000

I realize that the 1000 watts is peak. In other literature, the RMS output is given as 110W RMS @ 8 ohms, 210W RMS @ 4 ohms, 380W RMS @ 2 ohms.

Given that I am a "basement player" and am not interested in destroying the foundation of my house or deafening the rest of my family, is an amp at this rating likely to be powerful enough to adequately drive a Jack 112?

Thanks,

AEP

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

An Ex Parrot wrote:Fantastic. Thanks for the suggestions. One more question, this time regarding a power amp. Thinking of using this Behringer because it's cheap (why else would one choose Behringer?):

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NU1000

I realize that the 1000 watts is peak. In other literature, the RMS output is given as 110W RMS @ 8 ohms, 210W RMS @ 4 ohms, 380W RMS @ 2 ohms.

Given that I am a "basement player" and am not interested in destroying the foundation of my house or deafening the rest of my family, is an amp at this rating likely to be powerful enough to adequately drive a Jack 112?

Thanks,

AEP
While I'm not a Behringer fan, that amp will do more than enough for what you are describing.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."