Re: g'day from australia

#32 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Yes, that will do it.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

escapemcp

#33 Post by escapemcp »

I'm guessing the earth wire is thicker so that if you get a fault condition, and a wire burns out (i.e. acts like a fuse), then it will be the current carrying wires that blow first - if it was the earth wire that went, you've got a faulty, unearthed system... bzzzzzzzt :shock:

escapemcp

#34 Post by escapemcp »

M_mcgarry wrote:all advice will be taken.
You'll therefore have a very nice system by the end of this all (and operated by a savvy technician :wink: ). There's no egos here, no snake oil, just good honest advice. Don't apologize for asking questions... that's the whole reason why this forum exists (and to look at pictures of people's builds ;) ;) ) The only thing is to make sure that if you do ask a question, it's not already answered in the instructions, or you'll get the dreaded IITP response (i.e. it's in the plans!) - and no-one wants any of those - you'd have to live with the shame for the rest of your life :lol: :lol: The horror

Good luck with your continued build :)

DJPhatman

#35 Post by DJPhatman »

escapemcp wrote:
M_mcgarry wrote:all advice will be taken.
You'll therefore have a very nice system by the end of this all (and operated by a savvy technician :wink: ). There's no egos here, no snake oil, just good honest advice. Don't apologize for asking questions... that's the whole reason why this forum exists (and to look at pictures of people's builds ;) ;) ) The only thing is to make sure that if you do ask a question, it's not already answered in the instructions, or you'll get the dreaded IITP response (i.e. it's in the plans!) - and no-one wants any of those - you'd have to live with the shame for the rest of your life :lol: :lol: The horror

Good luck with your continued build :)
We REALLY need a "Cheeky" smiley! :lol:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

escapemcp

#36 Post by escapemcp »

(*( ??

DJPhatman

#37 Post by DJPhatman »

"Cheeky" as in smart-ass, not just ass! :shock: :loler: :lol:
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

88h88

#38 Post by 88h88 »

(_*_)
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

M_mcgarry

#39 Post by M_mcgarry »

Just wondering will the square speakon conetions act the same as the round ones

escapemcp

#40 Post by escapemcp »

88h88 wrote:(_*_)
I like yours better. It's much more rounded cheekiness.

Bruce Weldy

#41 Post by Bruce Weldy »

M_mcgarry wrote:Just wondering will the square speakon conetions act the same as the round ones
The square ones have a different corner frequency. The round ones seem to have a smoother, more circular tone.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

bitSmasher

#42 Post by bitSmasher »

Pretty sure they both hit 90°, albeit one with a slower rolloff

escapemcp

#43 Post by escapemcp »

That's a yes, they are the same, btw :) The round ones are the ones you should use if you want to attach them straight to the wood. If you attaching them to metal (like with a dish or a rack panel) then the square ones are the ones to use. I did recently discover that you can also attach the round ("wood") connectors to dishes if you use a dish for the 8-pole speakon connector like this:

I may use some of these soon, as there isn't really another neat solution out there for attaching a single speakon with a dish. Most involve buying a 2 connector plate and blanking one of the connectors. :(

Make sure that if you buy the square ones, that you buy the ones with the flat tabs on the back, so you can use crimp "faston" connectors. There is also a PCB model that has the connectors on the bottom (not the back) of the connector - you don't want those. I think there may also be a solder cup connector - you probably don't want those either, as they are not (easily) field replaceable.

Bruce Weldy

#44 Post by Bruce Weldy »

escapemcp wrote:so you can use crimp "faston" connectors.
I've had crimp connectors come off....I've never had one of my solder joints come off.

I always solder to the tab.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

Grant Bunter

#45 Post by Grant Bunter »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
escapemcp wrote:so you can use crimp "faston" connectors.
I've had crimp connectors come off....I've never had one of my solder joints come off.

I always solder to the tab.
+1
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...