Maslow CNC good enough? (or what CNC machine do you use)

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
infrasound

Maslow CNC good enough? (or what CNC machine do you use)

#1 Post by infrasound »

So maybe people on here have already posted or know of this but this machine is part of what inspired my reinterest in building speakers here: http://www.maslowcnc.com/

It made me want to ask, should that be fully capable of building every cabinet in the plans?

I wouldn't be getting it only to make BFM cabs, I have other projects in mind, it's just I know absolutely nothing about what a CNC machine's capabilities normally are or need to be or what to shop for other than considering them out of my price range forever. This is the first i've seen that is within reach. I don't know any reason it shouldnt work, unless the kerf width of a router cutting through things is too wide for certain plan cuts or something, it sounds like it's pretty precise.

What kind of CNC machines do you people need? Or/and what do you have to shop for to be able to make every cab in the plans so far? (and what abilities are even fancier, beyond what is needed, but might be worth having for other fancier compound whatever plans that other speaker designers might have... maybe making wooden tractix horns or whatever they are called/things you'd rarely want to try and do by hand ever)

LelandCrooks

Re: Maslow CNC good enough? (or what CNC machine do you use)

#2 Post by LelandCrooks »

How have I never seen this?! The difficulty with CNC and BFM cabs is all the angles. You'll still need to tablesaw all of them, or change bits and have custom cutters. This though is cost effective enough that if you're doing multiple cabs it will make all the cutouts, braces etc stupid easy. Brilliant.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

CoronaOperator

#3 Post by CoronaOperator »

That looks like a game changer for the sheet goods CNC market. Very affordable and very little floor space too!

Like Lealand said, you still need to cut the angles and as you progress with the cab you would need to trim to fit as no glue ups are perfect, especially on something like a DR2x0.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

jimbo7

#4 Post by jimbo7 »

needs plywood, 2x4's and some bricks? I have half the parts already! I'm in!
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

infrasound

#5 Post by infrasound »

LelandCrooks wrote:How have I never seen this?! The difficulty with CNC and BFM cabs is all the angles. You'll still need to tablesaw all of them, or change bits and have custom cutters. This though is cost effective enough that if you're doing multiple cabs it will make all the cutouts, braces etc stupid easy. Brilliant.
It only just barely came out. :) You cant even get them yet. I thought the design was very clever for the money.

I'm hoping router bits are available at the angles needed or/and you simply set the router that way... i'm not a big expert woodworker, everything is vague since high school woodshop.

Would something like this save alot of work including on things like the DR cabs making it mostly screw'n'glue?

LelandCrooks

#6 Post by LelandCrooks »

DR's are probably the biggest beneficiaries of cnc cutting. Nearly all the cuts are curved and straight edges.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Bruce Weldy

#7 Post by Bruce Weldy »

infrasound wrote:
I'm hoping router bits are available at the angles needed or/and you simply set the router that way... i'm not a big expert woodworker, everything is vague since high school woodshop.

?
They already make bits at an angle, but that won't achieve what you want. The panels in these designs almost always have 2 sides that are straight and two that are angled.....and the two angled sides are rarely the same degree of bevel or even the same orientation.

It would take way longer to keep changing bits than to just cut it on a table saw.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Svartrose

#8 Post by Svartrose »

A friend a my has a 60 x 90 cm CNC router. Good for wedges and DR's! To small for subs... I've always wanted a CNC router that can cut full-sheets. It might not be extremely accurate, but a tablesaw isn't either. I ordered a place on the order list for 1$ :) Let's see what it brings. I can always say no...
Last edited by Svartrose on Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Weldy

#9 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Svartrose wrote: I might not be extremely accurate, but a tablesaw isn't either.
:confused: :confused:

The first part of your sentence explains why you believe the second part. :mrgreen:

A table saw performs perfectly as long as the person setting it up (extremely important) and the person using it knows what they are doing.

CNC machines are great, but for one-offs in the garage - I just don't see justifying the expense. However, this guy's little gadget might be pretty cool.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Svartrose

#10 Post by Svartrose »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
Svartrose wrote: I might not be extremely accurate, but a tablesaw isn't either.
:confused: :confused:

The first part of your sentence explains why you believe the second part. :mrgreen:

A table saw performs perfectly as long as the person setting it up (extremely important) and the person using it knows what they are doing.

CNC machines are great, but for one-offs in the garage - I just don't see justifying the expense. However, this guy's little gadget might be pretty cool.
I meant It not I of course. This machine is 0.4mm accurate. It's not bad if you and your tablesaw are 0.4mm accurate, is it?

infrasound

#11 Post by infrasound »

Bruce Weldy wrote:
infrasound wrote:

?
They already make bits at an angle, but that won't achieve what you want. The panels in these designs almost always have 2 sides that are straight and two that are angled.....and the two angled sides are rarely the same degree of bevel or even the same orientation.

It would take way longer to keep changing bits than to just cut it on a table saw.
So is having the CNC that much of an improvement over just tablesaw cuts for all Bill's cabinets then, or is everything perfectly doable with a tablesaw and not extreme skill given a few jigs?

Bruce Weldy

#12 Post by Bruce Weldy »

infrasound wrote: So is having the CNC that much of an improvement over just tablesaw cuts for all Bill's cabinets then, or is everything perfectly doable with a tablesaw and not extreme skill given a few jigs?
CNC would be great for outer panels with square edges or if you were doing a bunch of cabs of the same type where you could get all the panels cut to size, but the internal panels have to cut on a bevel.

So, the CNC would be improvement in time savings for a bunch of cabs. But, a table saw can do EVERYTHING, whereas, a CNC cannot.

If you have both....use 'em. If you have to pick between the two, the table saw is the winner. What good would it be to have perfectly square panels from a CNC, if you then had to use a circular saw to cut the bevels?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210