Need help remembering...

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
detroitrockphily

Re: Need help remembering...

#16 Post by detroitrockphily »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
detroitrockphily wrote:Cabs we are currently using are crossed over... passively. The boards are internal and have never sounded 'great'.
You mean that the subs have built in low pass filters and the mains built in high pass filters? I could be wrong, but I doubt that's the case. Do you have separate amps for the subs and mains?
We use separate amps for subs, mains & side fills and all cabs are internally crossed over.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#17 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

detroitrockphily wrote:all cabs are internally crossed over.
I doubt it. It's possible, but I doubt it. Your mains would have internal passives for the drivers they contain, the same for the side fills, but it's extremely unlikely that they have anything to keep the sub frequencies out of them, nor would the subs have anything to keep higher frequencies out of them. Assuming that's the case you're running all of your cabs full range, which would explain why it doesn't sound good. They're not augmenting each other, they're fighting each other.

detroitrockphily

#18 Post by detroitrockphily »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
detroitrockphily wrote:all cabs are internally crossed over.
I doubt it. It's possible, but I doubt it. Your mains would have internal passives for the drivers they contain, the same for the side fills, but it's extremely unlikely that they have anything to keep the sub frequencies out of them, nor would the subs have anything to keep higher frequencies out of them. Assuming that's the case you're running all of your cabs full range, which would explain why it doesn't sound good. They're not augmenting each other, they're fighting each other.[/quote

Each cab has a passive xover contained inside... the mains have a small board mounted on the back inner panel w/3 leads going out... 1) 15" driver 1) a mid bass driver also 15" 1) horn and xover board is fed from the 1/4" input jack. The subs are low passed from the input jack to a small board then out to the driver also and the side fills are wired much the same as the mains less one driver.

You would be spot on that this setup does not augment each other... it doesn't sound bad but definitely does not sound great hence the very reason I will replace these components as I build them, with that said, the goal here is to introduce the new stuff one at a time (in pairs) to our system. I should look into purchasing a crossover that will balance the new cabs as I add them. In the meantime, my only question was what did I pay for 3+ yrs ago and how if at all could i use it. (ERSE component)

If there is a better simplistic option for my end game, I'm all for it!
Please keep in mind that I simply don't deal in or know a whole lot about Xovers, limiters and the like outside of what the plans call for to protect these assets however, I can build... (I aught to, I'm a machinist by trade). Also, I'm a newb at this! But not afraid to ask questions. I thank you all for your shared knowledge!

Bruce Weldy

#19 Post by Bruce Weldy »

detroitrockphily wrote: the mains have a small board mounted on the back inner panel w/3 leads going out... 1) 15" driver 1) a mid bass driver also 15" 1) horn and xover board is fed from the 1/4" input jack. The subs are low passed from the input jack to a small board then out to the driver also and the side fills are wired much the same as the mains less one driver.
Unless these are powered speakers (which I doubt since you mentioned old CS800 amps), the passive crossover on the back of the speaker does NOT have a high pass filter. Thus, all frequencies are going there - also known as full range.

As Bill said, you are feeding the same frequencies to the tops and the mains......this means pure mush from the lowest the tops go to the highest the sub goes. A proper crossover will make a huge difference - even with the stuff you have.
my only question was what did I pay for 3+ yrs ago and how if at all could i use it. (ERSE component)
I may not have been clear in my earlier post. It's a low pass for the T39. Not at all appropriate for what you are doing.
Please keep in mind that I simply don't deal in or know a whole lot about Xovers, limiters and the like outside of what the plans call for to protect these assets however, I can build... (I aught to, I'm a machinist by trade). Also, I'm a newb at this! But not afraid to ask questions. I thank you all for your shared knowledge!
You definitely need a speaker management system such as a Driverack. That will give you a crossover, limiter (a must have for the T39s), EQ, Feedback suppression, etc.....all in a one rack space unit. Used ones are available for $200-300 all day long. Any of these models will work - PA, PA+, PX, PA2.

There are a lot of folks that are more than willing to help here. Just keep the questions coming.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Charles Jenkinson

#20 Post by Charles Jenkinson »

detroitrockphily wrote:
You would be spot on that this setup does not augment each other... it doesn't sound bad but definitely does not sound great hence the very reason I will replace these components as I build them, with that said, the goal here is to introduce the new stuff one at a time (in pairs) to our system. I should look into purchasing a crossover that will balance the new cabs as I add them. In the meantime, my only question was what did I pay for 3+ yrs ago and how if at all could i use it. (ERSE component)

Another question then: Do you aspire to have better, ...much better sound? There's no point folks assuming that your wanting help with your memory about a coil you bought 3 years ago should be turned into you 'need advice' about your whole setup. If you do aspire then there is a step-up required - it can be a staged step-up, and people will give you all the help you need.
2xJ12L (3012HO) switchable/melded
2xT30

Words&graphics - Audio&Acoustics - Hardware&DSP; 3 different paradigms.

detroitrockphily

#21 Post by detroitrockphily »

I do aspire to have better sound and a back side that doesn't ache after loading heavy PA cabs after playing a 3+ hour night! So yes! Def 'aspire' a much better sound.
Getting back to my memory, all I wanted to know in the original post was what the coil was and why I bought it, that's been answered (thank you!).
Moving on, T39 build is well under way, parts are showing up in the mail (cab corners, jack plates, casters, rubber feet, duratex), only a few more glue ups until this stage of the build is complete but I can't help but wonder about tops, which ones? I haven't done much research yet aside from general reading. Also, looking at Driverack pa and a better amp to drive this set up once complete. Crown xti amps are nice, light and offer onboard settings... bass player put dibs on CS800's, as many times as I've hauled that dead priest (what we call the amp rack) I'd likely give those old amps to him free of charge!
Hope everyone had a blessed thanksgiving and thank you all for your continued support!