Easy question, sealing woofer to wood?

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
djlivex

Easy question, sealing woofer to wood?

#1 Post by djlivex »

What are you using for sealing the woofer to baffle without damaging the woofer components? Thanks :)
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

jimbo7

Re: Easy question, sealing woofer to wood?

#2 Post by jimbo7 »

I believe the people who do use silicone caulk. I tried once on a SLA and it was too messy (and cramped lol).
BFM builds:
XF212
T24 BP102 24"
2x SLA's 6-5" mids, 9- gt-302's
2x AT 14" MCM 55-2421
TrT 5" MCM 55-2421
AT 18" JBL GTO804
2x OT12 flat array
2x SLA Pro 2-Alpha 6's 2-Goldwoods
2x T39 24" 3012lf
Simplex 10 BP102

djlivex

#3 Post by djlivex »

Ok but doesn't the silicone destroy paper from the cone if exposed to the gases it produces while drying? I don't know where I read that , that is why I am asking thanks! :fingers:
BaasssS, . . how low can you GO!

Radian

#4 Post by Radian »

I've never fully sealed the face of a driver to the baffle, the factory gaskets usually work fine, but I also use a torque driver to ensure everything is clamped evenly during assembly. Not everyone has one of those. :broke:

I've had a split-type gasket leak on me once, and for that I used a few small dabs of Hondabond RTV. Ensuring a full cure before closing things up. Now, if I were going that route, I'd actually try FIPG sealant instead of RTV. Similar, but more tacky and cures to an elastic bead.

For anything else on the cabinet, I bought a roll of 1/16" x 3/4" neoprene tape and haven't looked back since. Works fantastic. Thin enough to seal, without distorting the fit of the parts. Compresses to almost nothing. Even better than the roll of 1/8'' thick stuff I got from Parts Express.

For t-nuts (if going that route) I used to use white glue or a dollop of rubber cement to seal and lock the threads, but since I bought a tube of Hylomar for another job, I prefer that instead.
Good food, good people, good times.

4 - AT
1 - TT
1 - THT Slim
2 - SLA Pro 4x6 Alphalite