PL bleed through finish

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
LelandCrooks

Re: PL bleed through finish

#16 Post by LelandCrooks »

Bondo will always show through, with a change in the finish like you're experiencing. Duratex also does not adhere well to bondo, AcryTech specifically says not to use it. If you prep and primer correctly you can cure the adhesion problem. But the finish change never seems to go away. They say use drywall spackle, which I think is a mistake. Not strong enough.
I'm also though seldom filling anything much bigger than a nail hole.
You must have pretty wide glue joints. I've never had an issue with PL.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

Jason Stromberg

#17 Post by Jason Stromberg »

LelandCrooks wrote:Bondo will always show through, with a change in the finish like you're experiencing. Duratex also does not adhere well to bondo, AcryTech specifically says not to use it. If you prep and primer correctly you can cure the adhesion problem. But the finish change never seems to go away. They say use drywall spackle, which I think is a mistake. Not strong enough.
I'm also though seldom filling anything much bigger than a nail hole.
You must have pretty wide glue joints. I've never had an issue with PL.
I prime everything, it allows me to see imperfections before final coat.

Yes spackle is great for drywall, not so much for cabinets but still i see people use it. :slap:

Glue joints are glue joints, everything gets brads and clamps. Not too often i use screws unless it absolutely necessary.

CoronaOperator

#18 Post by CoronaOperator »

LelandCrooks wrote: bondo, AcryTech specifically says not to use it ... They say use drywall spackle
They have been smelling too many fumes over the years.

On their advise I used drywall compound to fill some seams on a big project (our stage) before applying dutatex and that was the biggest mistake ever. Every patch lifted the duratex and left a big mess and a waste of 4 gallons of duratex. I used high strength compound that you have to mix with water and it sets hard and primed all the spots, didn't matter, it caked off from the bass. Everywhere I used bondo it held. From now on bondo will be the only thing I will ever use.

For duratex I sand with 50 grit with a random orbital then 2 coats, no undercoat. The 50 grit leaves plenty of scratches in the bondo for adhesion.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience