piezio sounding blown

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
halftank

piezio sounding blown

#1 Post by halftank »

I have a Jacklight 12 with a flat array of 8 piezios and the recommended high and low pass filters. I have the piezio's switched so i can turn them off. Recently they have the vibration sound similar to a blown speaker. Do i have blown piezos, or something wrong with the high pass filter?? How do i trouble shoot this? I can build them, but lack the knowledge to source problems.

Wayne

Bruce Weldy

Re: piezio sounding blown

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Since you said vibration sound, more than likely you have a rattle. Check to make sure that the piezo array is tight and doesn't move - also any other things are can move......speaker wires, crossover, etc.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Tom Smit

#3 Post by Tom Smit »

Sometimes there might be a loose piece behind the piezo cone.If you take the array out and shake it, there might be a rattle, in which case one would remove the back(s) to remove the "slug".
TomS

halftank

#4 Post by halftank »

All ready checked for rattles, loose items etc, even went as far to use isolation bushing on the array mounts, Noise is the distortion kind you get with a blown speaker!

W

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Try it with more than one source. If there's distortion in the signal chain piezos will reveal it.

halftank

#6 Post by halftank »

+1 Bill, you were correct, there was a bad source in the signal chain, turns out the right side of my amp has some slight distortion until it warms up.

thanks Man!

Wayne

Tom Smit

#7 Post by Tom Smit »

:clap:
Glad you found it!
TomS