Cyclone dust collector for my shop tools

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
howiez

Re: Cyclone dust collector for my shop tools

#16 Post by howiez »

Here is the final assembly, just whacked together last night and tested. I bought a DWV to 4" hose connector, 10 feet of hose to go to my various tools, and a 4" to 2.5" adapter for some smaller tools or shop vac accessories, as this baby will be used to vacuum the floor too. You might also notice the 2 for $5 pavers I had to buy for ballast. Dang if I didn't move the center of gravity something awful with all my ACME bolt on accessories. I had seen a few designs where they inverted the legs and mounted to a garage ceiling, then bolted the blower to a wall. Now I know why, this thing is a bit top heavy. The two pavers brought it right back down though, and it rolls around the shop nice and smooth without being tippy at all.
Cyclone15_zpsxbq7vsn6.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#17 Post by howiez »

Now for some before and after test shots. I have a video as well, not sure how to post or host that yet.

My Jet SuperSaw full of sawdust from a bit of neglect:
Cyclone16s_zpsfhheytqf.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#18 Post by howiez »

I apologize in advance for the next two crappy pictures. My cellphone apparently eats photos, so I had to snag these from the video playing on another PC.

The 5 gallon pail is nearly full of sawdust after emptying several months of project dust from the table saw!
Cyclone17s_zpsqv5hkoej.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#19 Post by howiez »

And the resultant proof, the original HF cyclones dust bag is empty. There are a few specs of sawdust in it, but at this rate, I'm guessing i'll empty a pound of dust out of it every year or two. Again, crappy screen capture, i'll get the video up somewhere.
Cyclone18s_zpsgm1orts7.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#20 Post by howiez »

A rough guestimate of my total cost, worst case, as some pieces I had laying around.

HF 2HP collector $135
Silicone $7
four 2x4x8ft, $12
6 nuts washers and bolts to mount blower $4
box of screws $7
.080 acrylic $20
5 gallon pail $3
gammaseal lid $12
clamps $12
hose $35
4" DWV adapter $4
4" to 2.5" adapter $4
4" 8ft long PVC $7
1/4 plywood 2x2 handi panel $6
3/4 plywood 2x4 handi panel $15
16x16 pavers 2 for $5

Total turnkey is roughly $288, and of course I could have just used the HF collector as is, but what's the fun in that?

If you have a DC, you can get a mini cyclone for as cheap as $60 but still need a bucket, hoses, etc. You can get a 'system' for as cheap as $115 with bucket and cyclone, but again, you need hoses, etc. A decent sized cyclone is nearer $200. A decent Jet brand collector without a cylcone is near $400. A Jet 1.5HP full cyclone, blower, filter and collector is $1k. I basically have $153 in add-ons to my DC, in order to get the performance of the cyclone. Any of those kits are near or over that turnkey, so I think I'm ahead of the game, and my son and I had fun building it.