Cyclone dust collector for my shop tools

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
howiez

Cyclone dust collector for my shop tools

#1 Post by howiez »

I've only built two BFM designs, but I've purchased the CD, and hope to build more soon. I've had a nice table saw for years, a decent dewalt compound miter saw, a Craftsman 3/4hp router and router table. It's time to manage all the chips I make!

I've always wanted a nice Jet dust collector to go with my Jet 10" super saw, but they are so expensive. It turns out lots of people build their own or modify commercial off the shelf models. I've scoured the internet and YouTube looking at cyclone dust collector designs.

I ended up choosing a Harbor Freight model by Central Machinery for it's price and basic setup. They are normally around $220 and if you wait for a typical internet sale down to 169.99 and then apply a 20% or 25% coupon, they can be had for a steal. I nabbed mine with 20 off for about $135 before tax. A simple 2HP motor will run you near $100.

The link and picture below show you what I'm starting with.

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-hp-indus ... 97869.html

The link shows green, they have another that is gray, but with a different cart. Mine is the full cart from the 'green' model but with the updated gray motor.
HarborFreightDC_zpszxoqodnz.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

Re: Cyclone dust collector for my shop tools

#2 Post by howiez »

So here is my gray model all assembled, making sure it all works. Then I cut the hose and started to modify things.
Cyclone01_zpstsxchyfx.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#3 Post by howiez »

I built a base out of scrap 1/4" plywood and match marked it to the HF DC base for mounting. Then I put some 2x4 legs on that to make the blower at the same height as the factory 'cyclone' part. There is a subtle 'cone' inside the HF filter/collector assembly, it just can be improved on.
Cyclone02_zpsy5kjdald.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#4 Post by howiez »

The base mounted for a test fit:
Cyclone03_zpsiirzexcc.jpg
Cyclone03_zpsiirzexcc.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 245 times
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#5 Post by howiez »

Now you can see where I'm going with this. I've made a platform near the height of the original cyclone inlet. I have a hole in the platform for the suction/inlet of the blower. It's outlet will be inline with the cyclone inlet.
Cyclone4s_zpswknvli0m.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#6 Post by howiez »

Now you can see the test fit where I've moved the blower outlet right inline with the cyclone inlet. They are connected with a stub of hose that I cut off. It will be more efficient blowing straight in, as opposed to the big curve from the original mounting point. I've powered it up to check the noise level, and for leaks in my stub of hose. The idea is to roll it near whatever tool I need, and fire it up. It's not too loud, but I may like to leave it in a corner far away from my saw, we will see. Then again, I guess it's far quieter than a table saw.
Cyclone05_zpsezkuv7yh.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#7 Post by howiez »

I've temporarily removed the 'deck' the blower sits on to add some claptrap. I've started to rough out a framework to mount the blower feet to, and hold my 'cyclone' or cone shape I'll be forming up. There will be a 5 gallon bucket hanging from the bottom of the cone. I'm using the framework to hold an acrylic sheet after I heat it a bit and roll it. Most are making theirs from sheet metal, or buying one of several cyclones preformed online. I wanted clear so I could see when it gets full/chokes and didn't want to pay $200 for just the cyclone.
Cyclone06_zpsijj3xsgv.jpg
Cyclone07_zpssqcpzqkv.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#8 Post by howiez »

You can find calculators and spreadsheets online to layout your cone shape in a flat pattern. I cheated and used Autodesk Inventor and it's sheet-metal capabilities to model my cone and the teardrop where the inlet will be. I then transferred those flat pattern dimensions to a sheet of 0.08" thick acrylic from Menards for ~$20.
Cyclone08s_zpshugixach.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#9 Post by howiez »

Then I used a Ryobi heat gun to warm it a bit, since it's cold here in February. I started to work it into my frame, and used the blower platform to hold it in place while it cooled. It took several cycles of warming and wiggling to get it in there. I ended up cracking it in several places. Next time I'd use thinner acrylic or spend the big bucks on some Lexan. Acrylic is just too brittle, and frankly I think the heat gun made it more brittle in a few places.
Cyclone09s_zpsqwiyfhf8.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#10 Post by howiez »

Here is a picture with the inlet worked into the cone side tangentially. My caulk job isn't superb but it will work. One screw and washer holds the cone in place at each 'rib' and there are two at the cone seam. I heated each side a bit, wiggled into the best looking position, and drilled a hole. I tried to hold a circular shape, but it was tough, either the heat gun made it sag, or it cracked. Most of the cracks were at the very bottom where it will fall into the bucket anyway. I was able to re-heat and smooth it almost round again, and caulk all those breaks and smooth them.
Cyclone11s_zpsykxber52.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LelandCrooks

#11 Post by LelandCrooks »

This is cool.
If it's too loud, you're even older than me! Like me.
http://www.speakerhardware.com

howiez

#12 Post by howiez »

Thanks Leland!

I needed between a 4" and 5" pipe for the inlet up the center of the cyclone into my HF blower. I could have used another scrap of the ~5" hose that came with the HF DC, but I wanted something rigid and smooth for flow. I used a Ryobi heat gun set on 11 and heated the tube until it was wobbly. Then I pushed it onto a couple wedges of 2x4 to flare it out more and more. When it was large enough to stretch over the 5" inlet on the blower I pushed it on and let it shrink back into place, turned out pretty good.
Cyclone12s_zpshoo0u1mn.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#13 Post by howiez »

Here is another shot of the cone from it's inlet side. I've gooped silicone around the top of cone, hoping it will be flush with the blower deck when i drop it on. I was WRONG. It was close, but off in a few places. I had to go back with more silicone and reach inside to spread and smooth it with my finger. I need to find a better way to seal that part if I ever need to build another.
Cyclone11_zpsmvutyj4e.jpg
Last edited by howiez on Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

howiez

#14 Post by howiez »

The blower deck is on. I've put a ring of silicone around the blower inlet pipe's clearance hole. Then I laid a rubber mat on that, mostly to keep the blower from rubbing on the deck and wearing the paint off or making noise. But I ended up cutting a less than 4" hole in the rubber, so it became my gasket to seal the inlet pipe.
Cyclone13s_zps9ooeolgm.jpg

howiez

#15 Post by howiez »

My container mounted to the bottom of the cyclone is a 5 gallon pail. The pros would use a 30 to 50 gallon trash can, I wanted small and portable. I purchased a GammaSeal screw on lid for it, so it will be easy to remove. I cut a ~4" hole in the lid for the bottom of the cone, siliconed it to the wood disc on bottom of cone frame and put a few screws in with washers to keep it honest. I left enough clearance that it just clears the lid threads/cone and the deck. I slip it in, thread it on and eat dust!
Cyclone14_zpsmruh1ker.jpg