Loctite PL Premium in Australia

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
bitSmasher

Re: Loctite PL Premium in Australia

#16 Post by bitSmasher »

I received an email from the supplier, weeks after sending it...
Code – LOC-PL295

Product Description – Loctite ™ PL Premium PU 300ml

Cost – $12.05 per tube

M.O.Q – 12 tubes

Delivery Charge – $26 +GST
:broke:

$10.50 a tube for Selleys Liquid Nails Platinum, available at Bunnings... convenience is king, especially when there's one on the way home from work. I just have to leave the office a bit earlier to get there in time for the last of the charity BBQ :lol:

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#17 Post by Harley »

bitSmasher wrote:$10.50 a tube for Selleys Liquid Nails Platinum, available at Bunnings... convenience is king,
Good luck ... you'll need it :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

horst

#18 Post by horst »

Harley wrote:
bitSmasher wrote:$10.50 a tube for Selleys Liquid Nails Platinum, available at Bunnings... convenience is king,
Why do you say that? it's the real deal.

Harley

#19 Post by Harley »

horst wrote:
Harley wrote:
Why do you say that? it's the real deal.
Because without exception, every selleys' product I've tried here has fallen well short of promise and expectation. To me it's a rubbish product where 95% has been spent on marketing hype and the balance on quality of the product.

Even in our last redecoration effort this Christmas, TWO made the mistake of buying a selleys filler for some doors we were refurbishing. I relented and let her use it because it was too much of a pain to return and we needed it at that instant....what a bad decision that was.

Their advertising here says "If it's selleys, it works" :bull: I'd re-write the jingle to say "If it's selleys, it sucks"

norv

#20 Post by norv »

Harley, have you tried Selleys Liquid Nails Platinum, coz I've used it on about a dozen cabs and other assorted projects and it works fine for me.
Built:
XF 210, Jack 110 (bass only), Wedgehorn 6 (panel tweets), 3 x W6 Lite, Jack 110 (melded), 2 x Jack 110 Lite (melded)

horst

#21 Post by horst »

Harley I don't think it's a good idea to put people off a product if you don't actually have any experience with that product. All you are doing is confusing people into looking for something else when it actually isn't necessary. It's certainly the strongest polyurethane glue readily available around here.
Now I haven't come across PL Premium, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same stuff, although from observing build threads here, Platinum seems to be expanding less than PL, which makes me believe that Platinum is actually stronger than PL Premium (more air bubbles -> less strength).

Grant Bunter

#22 Post by Grant Bunter »

Woo up fellas,

This thread was started so that Aussies would know PL premium can be bought here.
The price may have changed, but AFAIK, it's still available.

Sure, other products might work, and may be marginally cheaper, but if you want the recommended adhesive, well, page 1 post 1 is the source...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#23 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

horst wrote: Platinum seems to be expanding less than PL, which makes me believe that Platinum is actually stronger than PL Premium (more air bubbles -> less strength).
-1. Less expansion means less penetration of the adhesive into the pores of the wood. The air bubbles occur outside of the actual joint, where the adhesive is free to expand far more than it can within the joint, so they don't affect anything.

Harley

#24 Post by Harley »

norv wrote:Harley, have you tried Selleys Liquid Nails Platinum, .
No, for two reasons.

First the MSDS and the information sheets confirm it's not a 100% expanding polyuretahne adhesive and secondly because of the lousy performance of other Selleys' products that I have used, I simply wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars on it.

I am questioning the Selleys brand because in my expereince their products all fell short of their advertising hype. If Liquid Nails Platinum works for you, great but I use 100% expanding polyurehane adhesives I can trust, either Holdfast or Sika. Holdfast, for your information, has a Liquid nails equivalent, but I wouldn't use that either because it's not 100% expanding polyurehane.

Now Loctite PL is here on the market, I'll give it a go because...it's 100% expanding polyurethane and it's what Bill and Leland swear by.

horst

#25 Post by horst »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
horst wrote: Platinum seems to be expanding less than PL, which makes me believe that Platinum is actually stronger than PL Premium (more air bubbles -> less strength).
-1. Less expansion means less penetration of the adhesive into the pores of the wood. The air bubbles occur outside of the actual joint, where the adhesive is free to expand far more than it can within the joint, so they don't affect anything.
If hydraulic pressure was critical in obtaining a high bond strength, than you could expect the most foaming PU glues to have the greatest strength, but in my tests I have observed the exact opposite correlation.

horst

#26 Post by horst »

Harley wrote:
No, for two reasons.

First the MSDS and the information sheets confirm it's not a 100% expanding polyuretahne adhesive and secondly because of the lousy performance of other Selleys' products that I have used, I simply wouldn't spend my hard earned dollars on it.

I am questioning the Selleys brand because in my expereince their products all fell short of their advertising hype. If Liquid Nails Platinum works for you, great but I use 100% expanding polyurehane adhesives I can trust, either Holdfast or Sika. Holdfast, for your information, has a Liquid nails equivalent, but I wouldn't use that either because it's not 100% expanding polyurehane.

Now Loctite PL is here on the market, I'll give it a go because...it's 100% expanding polyurethane and it's what Bill and Leland swear by.
Polyurethane glues like PL or all the other variants are mixtures of chemicals, if you actually read the msds' you can see that they are hardly any different, and so 100% expanding polyurethane product doesn't really mean anything.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/msds/PL_CA_PREM_msds.pdf
http://msds.duluxgroup.com/pdf/shess-en ... 021953.pdf

So maybe you don't like Selleys because you've had some horrible child hood experience and you don't like their jingle but that doesn't make it a valid criticism of this particular Selleys product that actually works really well and is easily available to builders in Australia.

byacey

#27 Post by byacey »

Harley wrote:
No, for two reasons.

Perhaps a side by side comparison test is in order between the PL Premium and Selleys. This should quickly quell any arguments. What I don't understand is the resistance some people are putting up to use PL, now that it's available in Australia. Even if it's slightly more money, it's still tried and proven. With anything else, it's an unknown risk.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

horst

#28 Post by horst »

great, send me a bottle of PL and I'll append it to my sample of two.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... =14&t=8182

Platinum is also tried and proven

And nobody is resisting PL

Harley

#29 Post by Harley »

horst wrote:So maybe you don't like Selleys because you've had some horrible child hood experience and you don't like their jingle .
Now that's just being silly Horst. I was at least 30 before Selleys started foisting their stuff on us here :loler:

Bruce Weldy

#30 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Harley wrote:
horst wrote:So maybe you don't like Selleys because you've had some horrible child hood experience and you don't like their jingle .
Now that's just being silly Horst. I was at least 30 before Selleys started foisting their stuff on us here :loler:

Harley, you want us to believe that you were out of your childhood by the time you were 30? Who ya' kiddin'?

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."