Speakon 1/4'' combo jack?

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Charles Warwick

Speakon 1/4'' combo jack?

#1 Post by Charles Warwick »

I found these at MCM:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NLJ2MD-V

Has anyone used these? I'm considering putting these in the Jacks I plan on building but am wondering if they are leaky...

Bruce Weldy

Re: Speakon 1/4'' combo jack?

#2 Post by Bruce Weldy »

If you've ever tried to put a 1/4" plug in a speakon, you know that the hole is too little. In order to make the hole big enough, the wall around the plug would have to be thinner, thus making the jack weaker. Personally, I'd just add the 1/4" jack separate....the whole idea of a combo jack is to give you options. But, if it is broken, there are no options.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#3 Post by Harley »

Bruce Weldy wrote: Personally, I'd just add the 1/4" jack separate....the whole idea of a combo jack is to give you options. But, if it is broken, there are no options.
+1

But you have to make sure the 1/4" phone jack system is made air-tight.
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

Charles Warwick

#4 Post by Charles Warwick »

Very good points, but since I can get them for 2.50, I think I may just order one and check it out for said problems when they get here. I would definitely be wary of thin plastic,

What's the best way to check to see if the 1/4'' phono jack is airtight beyond actually installing it in a finished speaker? I'd hate to have to install it and try to pry it back out since I usually put a bead of PL around it like caulk, but maybe that's the only way. :roll: Doesn't Leland sell 1/4 phono jack plugs? I wonder if they would fit and not block the speakons...

Fish

#5 Post by Fish »

Charles Warwick wrote:NLJ2MD-V
Also, these are intended to be vertically mounted on a PC board, so they are much harder to solder speaker wires to. In case that helps make the decision....

p.s. - 1/4" connectors really shouldn't be used for loudspeaker connections. They're horrible for so many reasons, including high contact resistance, generally poor current capacity, and shorting tip and sleeve during mating.
Slowly working on a pair of T30s...

Charles Warwick

#6 Post by Charles Warwick »

Fish wrote:1/4" connectors really shouldn't be used for loudspeaker connections.
Yeah, I do agree with that, 1/4'' jacks are rather annoying and I love Speakon, but I like having the 1/4'' around in case I need them for some reason. I can't say I ever have had to use the 1/4'' jacks in my Otops but who knows....

tdogg

#7 Post by tdogg »

i'd skip the 1/4" entirely and just keep a couple of these in your gearbag. you will not regret switching to speakon! http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=092-065
Jack 112 deltalite 2512 x2

in progress: 24" T39 3012LF loaded, for bass guitar and PA use

David Carter

#8 Post by David Carter »

tdogg wrote:i'd skip the 1/4" entirely and just keep a couple of these in your gearbag. you will not regret switching to speakon! http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdet ... er=092-065
+1!
Dave

Built:
- Omni 10 (S2010 + piezo array)
- 2 x DR250 (DL II 2510 + melded array)
- 2 x Titan 39 (BP102 - 14"W)
- 2 x Titan 39 (3012LF - 20"W)
- 4 x DR200 (Delta Pro 8B + melded array)

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Charles Warwick wrote:I found these at MCM:
http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/NLJ2MD-V

Has anyone used these? I'm considering putting these in the Jacks I plan on building but am wondering if they are leaky...
They work well in cabs that don't need +2-2 pin wiring capability. Tricky to solder, though, with the short PC board pins.