"Void Free" plywood - South England (Portsmouth)

Helpful hints on how to build 'em, and where to get the stuff you need.
Blueskink

Re: "Void Free" plywood - South England (Portsmouth)

#16 Post by Blueskink »

I've been buying sheets of 1/4 ply from Wickes. The reasons why are because its still open when I get home from work, it's in a size that fits across the rear footwell of my vw golf, it seems ok quality to me. It's not the cheapest but I haven't got time or the inclination to fanny about at a local Woodyard trying to explain what is ideal.. It does have a thin veneer but it isn't a problem to me. I haven't had much trouble with it warping.

Magic Matt Blues

#17 Post by Magic Matt Blues »

Rune Bivrin wrote:If I'm reading correctly that is NOT an expanding PU adhesive like PL Premium. :bash: Expect to be told off by the community (and they'd be right)
It seems to expand a bit when used. It kind of "puffs up" a little after its applied and looks like it oozes into the gaps. It doesn't specifically say expanding on the tubes though. I've got a few bits of "crap ply" (offcuts of 18mm cheap stuff) clamped together, and I'm going to basically smack the living daylights out of it with a hammer and see how well it holds.
Memo to self: Sticking to the plans does not mean handling them with PU adhesive on your fingers.

Also, speakers with a high SPL move a lot of air. Do not stand in front of them if you had a chilli the night before the gig.

Bruce Weldy

#18 Post by Bruce Weldy »

Magic Matt Blues wrote: I'm going to basically smack the living daylights out of it with a hammer and see how well it holds.
Strength is secondary. Air tightness is primary....that's why the glue needs to expand, in order to fill all the air gaps.

6 - T39 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512
1 - T24
1 - SLA Pro
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

Magic Matt Blues

#19 Post by Magic Matt Blues »

I was thinking of running a small line of hot glue or sealant along all the joins anyway, just to be double-safe.
Memo to self: Sticking to the plans does not mean handling them with PU adhesive on your fingers.

Also, speakers with a high SPL move a lot of air. Do not stand in front of them if you had a chilli the night before the gig.

Rune Bivrin

#20 Post by Rune Bivrin »

Magic Matt Blues wrote:I was thinking of running a small line of hot glue or sealant along all the joins anyway, just to be double-safe.
Assuming you intend to build one of the Titans or Tubas, just how will you do that when putting on the last side?

For the rest it's certainly doable; I've done so myself with great results. For the subs I wouldn't dare. Any truly expanding type will work, but PL Premium excels by not being runny which makes handling much easier.
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)

Magic Matt Blues

#21 Post by Magic Matt Blues »

It's a Simplexx, so I really don't think it will be a problem... but even then, it is just an additional "just in case" measure to cover my back if the adhesive hasn't made airtight seals.

Rune Bivrin

#22 Post by Rune Bivrin »

Magic Matt Blues wrote:It's a Simplexx, so I really don't think it will be a problem... but even then, it is just an additional "just in case" measure to cover my back if the adhesive hasn't made airtight seals.
Ok, then I don't see a problem. 8)
In build order:
O12 with no tweeter.
3 x WedgeHorns.
2 x Jack 10 without tweeters.
2 x DR250.
2 x 16" T39
1 x Tuba 24
2 x SLA Pro (sort of...)