Simplexx 212

Post your reviews and pictures here.
byacey

Simplexx 212

#1 Post by byacey »

For years I've been using an EV TL606 cabinet with a JBL E140 for my bass cabinet, but I was never happy with the tone. I decided to bite the bullet and try something different. There were a few used Ampeg 212 cabinets listed in the local classifieds, but they seemed overly heavy, and a little bit pricey for used; you never know what you are getting with used speakers.

I decided to build up a Simplexx 212 with the idea that if I didn't like it, I could always sell it and look at something else. I had the 12mm Baltic sitting in the shop, so I ordered up some Eminence BP122s, casters, grills, scoop handles, and got to work. It took a couple of evenings to build the box, and another couple of days to stain and varnish.

After trying out this cabinet, I decided it's not going anywhere. Paired up with my Peavey Tour 450, it has nice, round, bottom end and punchy mids, far more than what I ever had from the 15" E140. I used it on a couple gigs already, and the other musicians commented on the mid range definition and the overall refined sound, all at reasonably low to moderate stage levels. However, this cab will definitely bark when called to do so.

Best of all, it's lighter than the TL606 and sits physically higher, bringing the sound source closer to the ears, rather than the knees.

I would highly recommend this cabinet for anyone looking for a light weight, compact double 12" that has good, solid, punchy tone.
Last edited by byacey on Wed May 17, 2017 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Askia

Re: Simplexx 212

#2 Post by Askia »

Nice review!
Post some pics if you can!

byacey

#3 Post by byacey »

Pictures are in the build forum. Maybe next time I'll consolidate everything in one thread.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

Here is a picture from his build thread: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/downl ... =11865&t=1
TomS

byacey

#5 Post by byacey »

I should mention that I put the cabinet on the scale today, just out of curiosity. It weighs in at 63 lbs., casters, scoop handles and all.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

byacey

#6 Post by byacey »

Update: I did sound production for a music festival on Sunday, and had my Simplexx 212 cabinet in the backline. Because I had a friend mixing at FOH, I was running the stage. Pretty much every bassist that came on stage asked me about the cabinet after they plugged in and played a few notes, like"What is this cabinet?" and "What kind of drivers are in this cab?" "This thing sounds great! Where did you get it?"
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212

Askia

#7 Post by Askia »

byacey wrote:Update: I did sound production for a music festival on Sunday, and had my Simplexx 212 cabinet in the backline. Because I had a friend mixing at FOH, I was running the stage. Pretty much every bassist that came on stage asked me about the cabinet after they plugged in and played a few notes, like"What is this cabinet?" and "What kind of drivers are in this cab?" "This thing sounds great! Where did you get it?"
That's nice to hear, congratulations!
I'd have thought, the BP122s wouldn't sound really good without a HF driver, as they drop off quickly above 2KHz. Surely not everyone's slapping, or needs bright sounds. That cab must have a very nice focused, solid bass tone!

byacey

#8 Post by byacey »

Askia wrote:
byacey wrote:Update: I did sound production for a music festival on Sunday, and had my Simplexx 212 cabinet in the backline. Because I had a friend mixing at FOH, I was running the stage. Pretty much every bassist that came on stage asked me about the cabinet after they plugged in and played a few notes, like"What is this cabinet?" and "What kind of drivers are in this cab?" "This thing sounds great! Where did you get it?"
That's nice to hear, congratulations!
I'd have thought, the BP122s wouldn't sound really good without a HF driver, as they drop off quickly above 2KHz. Surely not everyone's slapping, or needs bright sounds. That cab must have a very nice focused, solid bass tone!
The tone is great for my style of playing, although I don't slap at all. I haven't swept the cab to see what the upper roll-off is, but I should do this one of these days just to satisfy my curiosity. The bottom end is indeed very solid.
Built
T48s
WH8s
SX212