Simplexx 1x12 review

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Askia

Simplexx 1x12 review

#1 Post by Askia »

I had the chance to try a simplexx 1x12 with 2512, no tweeter. Wasn't built by me. I took my Markbass traveler 2x10 as a reference, as that's my main cab now.
we have tried with a Prolude KO750 and a Tonehammer 350 Head. Bass was a Yamaha 425X with custom Sublime pickups, and a MTD Kingston 5 stringer.
The Simplexx was freshly built, and I don't know if the speaker needs break in treatment, but I found it a little bass shy. The low B was weaker than the other strings.
Besides that I've found, that it was a really clean and precise sounding cab. Without tweeter, slapping sounded good and healthy as well. Eqing the amps revealed through the cab well.
Than tried some overdriven sounds as well, and it was really good.

I was thinking what could be the reason the low B string sounded weak:
1. speaker needs break in
2. the 2512 is not a good choice for 5 stringers

I'd appreciate if other 1x12 owners would share their experiences with their speaker configurations!

Chris_Allen

Re: Simplexx 1x12 review

#2 Post by Chris_Allen »

Hi,

Breaking in the driver is something easy enough to test. Just unscrew it and run it through an amp at 30Hz or so.

What are the settings on your amp? specifically the bass?

The 1st harmonic of the low B should be around 60Hz, although it won't be as strong as the E, it should be around 3dB down on the Simplexx.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Askia

#3 Post by Askia »

Chris_Allen wrote:Hi,

Breaking in the driver is something easy enough to test. Just unscrew it and run it through an amp at 30Hz or so.

What are the settings on your amp? specifically the bass?

The 1st harmonic of the low B should be around 60Hz, although it won't be as strong as the E, it should be around 3dB down on the Simplexx.

I had another opportunity to test the cab. It looks like, it needed a break in, as this time the lows sounded full. (The owner used it meanwhle, and pushed it hard. ) The upper mids sounded a bit harsh/boxy, but the cab doesn't have a proper dampening inside, so I think it will solve the case.
We have used the amps flat, didn't really played with the eq. The Prolude KO 750 has a baked in preshape button, which is very wise, a not-overemphasized smile curve. But both the flat and the preshaped sound was already full on the low B as well.
Next step will be the high frequency driver. Really good cab, for sure I'll order the plans, and build one for myself!
Last edited by Askia on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Askia wrote:the cab doesn't have a proper dampening inside
:cop:

Askia

#5 Post by Askia »

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
Askia wrote:the cab doesn't have a proper dampening inside
:cop: