All 6 Dr250's

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Jojo

All 6 Dr250's

#1 Post by Jojo »

Finally this past weekend I had an even that required all of my 6 Dr's loaded with 2510 and Compression drivers. The gig was in a basketball gymnasium with a very tall ceiling, and after some good advise from the nice folks here in the forum I decided to go with all 6 Dr's instead of 4. I was amazed on how loud they were with not even half of the volume up, and Power amps ran very cool all night. Guests of the event kept coming to me and complementing on how loud and crystal clear it sounded, and couldn't believe they were homemade and not bought. My next project is to build 8 of the Titan 48 to go with my Dr's. Hoping on getting more gigs in the future that require all of my Dr's :fingers:
Attachments
dr250sm3.jpg
dr250sm2.jpg
dr250sm1.jpg

Tom Smit

Re: All 6 Dr250's

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Congrats! Hopefully this will lead to more paying events for you.

Did you have subs?
TomS

DJPhatman

#3 Post by DJPhatman »

I see split subs! :ugeek:

Jojo, have you read the sub placement sticky? Even direct radiating subs benefit from these guidelines.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Rich4349

#4 Post by Rich4349 »

What kind of setup is that you used to stack three high? Does the tripod have a platform that the bottom DR sits on?
2 DR250s, 2 27" Lab15 T-60s, 2 30" Neo Titan 39s, 1 Autotuba...and looking for more!

Jojo

#5 Post by Jojo »

Yes I had 4 B52 folded horns per side. The stand where the Dr's sit is a fabricated stand made of some square tubing I had laying around.. they sit very sturdy but the only draw back was that we had to step on top of the subs to get them all braced up..

DJPhatman

#6 Post by DJPhatman »

With 8 B-52s, you really should have stacked them in the corner. This alone would have gotten you sub-stancial (pun intended) gains in volume. They will never keep up with 6 DR250s, but that should get you a lot more bass.
I know money often seals the deal, but seriously, quality is an investment, not an expense... Grant Bunter
Accept the fact that airtight and well-braced are more important than pretty on the inside. Bill Fitzmaurice

Jojo

#7 Post by Jojo »

I Had the subs coupled wit a v-plate for that extra punch... Hope I did it right though..

Grant Bunter

#8 Post by Grant Bunter »

Jojo wrote:I Had the subs coupled wit a v-plate for that extra punch... Hope I did it right though..
V plating is like adding 1 cab, ie +3dB in output
If you had wall loaded your subs, that would be +6dB, which is the equivalent of doubling your cab count.
Corner loading is +12dB, equivalent to doubling cab count again.

As far as the split subs go, if you're going to split, the two stacks need to be more than 50 feet apart, or you cause frequency cancellations. If you can't seperate by more than 50 feet, always put them in a single stack...
Built:
DR 250: x 2 melded array, 2x CD horn, March 2012 plans.
T39's: 4 x 20" KL3010LF , 2 x 28" 3012LF.
WH8: x 6 with melded array wired series/parallel.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

David Raehn

#9 Post by David Raehn »

WOW, that's two whole Love Shacks of B52's!!!

:clap:
BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

J_Dunavin

#10 Post by J_Dunavin »

HA that's awesome! How many in attendance, you figure?
2 - OTop8
2 - T39
8 - DR200
2 - DR250
9 - T24
6 - T45
1 - Auto Tuba

heavybdrums

#11 Post by heavybdrums »

Jojo wrote:Finally this past weekend I had an even that required all of my 6 Dr's loaded with 2510 and Compression drivers. The gig was in a basketball gymnasium with a very tall ceiling, and after some good advise from the nice folks here in the forum I decided to go with all 6 Dr's instead of 4. I was amazed on how loud they were with not even half of the volume up, and Power amps ran very cool all night. Guests of the event kept coming to me and complementing on how loud and crystal clear it sounded, and couldn't believe they were homemade and not bought. My next project is to build 8 of the Titan 48 to go with my Dr's. Hoping on getting more gigs in the future that require all of my Dr's :fingers:
I have 2 questions for you guys regarding the last pic in this post.
1.) what kind of stand is this, I read what was written but don't quite get exactly how this is made.
2.) It is my understanding that the angled tops and bottoms designed into the speakers is to facilitate an array configuration. Why are they in plane (plumb vertical fronts) instead of in a curved array? would it be better to have them in a curved array?
If anyone has a pic of how they mount on scaffold or stands in a full setup please show me how you like to have 2 or more dr 250's arranged outside.
If I were going to use 2 dr 250's per side (or more) what would be the best stacking option (scaffolding or what) for outside on slightly hilly and possibly muddy ground? (I mean as far as stands/scaffolding etc.) Definitely not interested in flying and not wanting to rely on ground stacking as I have seen where this is not possible.
Definitely NOT criticizing just trying to understand.
This may seem silly to ask for pics when referring to one but I really can't tell what is going on here
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

Grant Bunter

#12 Post by Grant Bunter »

Think this (example only, find some in your country):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Steel-P ... 4d0791a861

attached to a larger plate, that plate being big enough to put a DR on.
Put that on a stand.

It's not recommended to go more than 2 cabs high with a system like this. You could go more than 2 cabs high indoors by using 2 stands per side to hold up your base plate.

For your muddy outdoor gigs, think scaffold. IIRC, some is available from HD or similar.
You want scaffold with adjustable height screws on the bottom so you can level out the scaffold on uneven ground.

You can line up cabs as is pictured. You still get the benefits of line arraying that way, ie vertical dispersion pattern control.

If you want to J array, obviously you also can. J arraying gives you the same pattern control, and also allows power shading for those audience members closest to the lowest and/or next highest cab...
Built:

heavybdrums

#13 Post by heavybdrums »

Grant Bunter wrote:Think this (example only, find some in your country):
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Full-Steel-P ... 4d0791a861

attached to a larger plate, that plate being big enough to put a DR on.
Put that on a stand.

It's not recommended to go more than 2 cabs high with a system like this. You could go more than 2 cabs high indoors by using 2 stands per side to hold up your base plate.

For your muddy outdoor gigs, think scaffold. IIRC, some is available from HD or similar.
You want scaffold with adjustable height screws on the bottom so you can level out the scaffold on uneven ground.

You can line up cabs as is pictured. You still get the benefits of line arraying that way, ie vertical dispersion pattern control.

If you want to J array, obviously you also can. J arraying gives you the same pattern control, and also allows power shading for those audience members closest to the lowest and/or next highest cab...
So if I were say, only using 2 dr 250/ side, could I use regular speaker stands with top hats and the wood brackets to connect the second dr to the first? I see some stands that hold 150 lbs like these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS90B.
These used only for up to 2 dr 250's ea. side and probably only inside gigs or good ground outside, or with the stands on the stage.
Then for more dr's/side and for unlevel outside I should use scaffolding( with adjustable feet) and the wood brackets in the plans, and put the speakers stacks on a walk board in the scaffolding. If there were say 500 or more in a field party how high should the bottom speaker be, maybe 6-7 feet?
Any need to have the bottom speaker any higher than the average person's head?

Thanks a bunch Grant, unfortunately the manufacturer of those brackets won't let us have them in America (LOL) but I get the idea, a quick search yielded no bracket of that sort on this side of the pond, but if top hats and speaker stands will do 2 dr250's each then that would be easier.
Through this site and it's links and other research into pa sound and speaker design, it appears that you aussies have a proud, enthusiastic heritage in the audio world, I did not know this before, or much of anything about the down under, but you guys ROCK!! 8)
4x WH8 delta pro
2x WH10 Deltalite 2510
4x Dr250 Deltalite II 2510
8X Titan 39 3012lf, 28"
4X Tuba 60 W/ lab 15
FB: https://www.facebook.com/sunsoundservices/ likes appreciated

David Raehn

#14 Post by David Raehn »

BFM rig:
6 OT12
4 T48
4 WH8
Other:
56 box Electrotec LabQ rig
Way too many cables
:noob:

Grant Bunter

#15 Post by Grant Bunter »

heavybdrums wrote:

So if I were say, only using 2 dr 250/ side, could I use regular speaker stands with top hats and the wood brackets to connect the second dr to the first? I see some stands that hold 150 lbs like these: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS90B.
These used only for up to 2 dr 250's ea. side and probably only inside gigs or good ground outside, or with the stands on the stage.

Yep. And if you want to J array using one stand, you can use the adjustable angle eminence top hat in the bottom cab to angle it down and use the brackets in the plans to hold the cab above it. Just watch your centre of gravity and stand leg positioning.
Also, you can go 2 stands per side, here's an example made by David Raehn:
http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... rm#p258051

Then for more dr's/side and for unlevel outside I should use scaffolding( with adjustable feet) and the wood brackets in the plans, and put the speakers stacks on a walk board in the scaffolding.
Yep

If there were say 500 or more in a field party how high should the bottom speaker be, maybe 6-7 feet?
Any need to have the bottom speaker any higher than the average person's head?
I always try to put the bottom edge of a single tops/mains cab around 6 feet. You want, in particular, the HF section of the cab extending above the tallest person at the gig.
With 2 cabs stacked, you should be able to drop the bottom cab a bit, bottom edge say 5 to 5 1/2 feet. That would increase stability some.

Thanks a bunch Grant, unfortunately the manufacturer of those brackets won't let us have them in America (LOL) but I get the idea, a quick search yielded no bracket of that sort on this side of the pond, but if top hats and speaker stands will do 2 dr250's each then that would be easier.
Through this site and it's links and other research into pa sound and speaker design, it appears that you aussies have a proud, enthusiastic heritage in the audio world, I did not know this before, or much of anything about the down under, but you guys ROCK!! 8)

Cheers! We do...
Built: