Two THTLP's

Post your reviews and pictures here.
cbarth

Two THTLP's

#1 Post by cbarth »

Greetings!

I have been lurking around here for quite some time and I've had the plans and drivers on the shelves for a couple of years. But I never seemed to find the time to build these subs.

But I've noticed several builds from Michael Ewald Hansen, a danish builder frequent on these pages. I contacted him and we made a deal on two 15 inch wide THTLP's.

I then sent him my Eminence Lab 12 drivers, and a co-worker of mine picked up the finished subs in Denmark and brought them here to Norway.

I have to thank Michael for doing buisness with me, he is a pro and I can't recomend him enough if others might be interested.

And now for the sound, I guess everyone on this forum knows what I am talking about, but I just have to say WOOOW!! Holy crap!

I wasn't prepared for this! I've had a SVS Ultra 13 in this room, but compairing these would just sound silly. This is another league.

Here are some pics:

Tom Smit

Re: Two THTLP's

#2 Post by Tom Smit »

Awesome! :clap:

I was wondering if you know the weight of one of the THTs. Oh, and could you put a link to the pictures?
TomS

cbarth

#3 Post by cbarth »

Something weird is happening to the pics when I try to upload them...

But here is a link to a Norwegian forum were I posted some pics:

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/ven ... ost1801372

I haven't put them on a scale, but I have been carrying them around, and I would guess they whey about 35-40kg each. These are 15 inch wide, loaded with a Eminence Lab 12.

Cbarth

Boyd

#4 Post by Boyd »

Ooo, you built a bass massage couch. Nice!
Built:

2x Titan 48 18" wide 3012LF loaded
2x Otop 12 J-Array 3012HO Melded

Building:

2x Titan 48 36" 3015LF

cbarth

#5 Post by cbarth »

Yeah, with those big Cornwall's in that small room, it's about my only option.

When listening to music at normal levels it works pretty good, but at closer to reference levels it is quite obvious that you are sitting on a rocket...

But if I went all BFM with SLA's/TLAH's on the other hand, I would have more options to placements of those THT's.

But those Cornwall ii with Bob Crites upgrades sounds better than most when connected to my Musical Innovation 9.1 2x80w pure class A monster...

Cbarth

88h88

#6 Post by 88h88 »

That room looks super cosy. Have people been over and wondered if it was the mains making all that noise?
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

cbarth wrote:But if I went all BFM with SLA's/TLAH's on the other hand, I would have more options to placements of those THT's.
Space conservation is the beauty of TLAH. They only extend six inches into the room and take up zero floor space.

cbarth

#8 Post by cbarth »

Thanks 88h88.
The Cornwalls make plenty of bass by them selves, just not below 35-40hz, so for music the only obvious result for non-believers is a bit cleaner sound. But for movies, I've got some grins by watching the reaction when the volume is cranked and the THT's really kick in. It's a VERY physical experience. :loler:

It sounds tempting Bill, but I would really want some speakers that don't need eq except crossover for the sub. I'm going to use an Oppo bdp105 analog output to a Musical Innovation six channel preamp....

These amps are really something special: they have huge power supply, pure class A, no capacitors in the signal path and no feedback. They sound VERY dynamic and effortless.

Cbarth

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#9 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

cbarth wrote:
It sounds tempting Bill, but I would really want some speakers that don't need eq except crossover for the sub.
Since they're not horn loaded TLAH are as flat as most speakers. I use 31 band EQ, but only because I have one. I could get by without it.

cbarth

#10 Post by cbarth »

So, now it's of to work again, four new weeks in Korea.

But I have been playing with my tubas for four weeks now and I have to say; they are just frigging good and keep sounding better and better!

For no good reason I played 20hz note at 30V yesteday :shock: I thought both the cabin and me would get some sort of damage :loler:

My wife was inside the house with the kids 40 feet away and she thought there was an earthquake!

But jokes aside, they are as articulate, dynamic and "fast" (I know Bill doesn't like that word about subs) as any subwoofer I have ever heard.

I just love them, thank you so much Bill for this design.

Cbarth

MissileCrisis

#11 Post by MissileCrisis »

My T60 gives me the same grins playing 25 Hz sine waves, I never take it into the limiter or else it would be nauseating (sine waves, music I do it on occasion). Measured flat to 24 Hz in room :).
Built
2 x TLAH
1 Titan 39 (lab 12, 15 inch)
1 Tuba 60 (lab 12, 20 inch)
SLA Center
2 x Mini MLTP subwoofers
1 x 212 TH (custom)
2 x Mini-Karlsonators
Owned, but not built
2 x Jack 12 (2512, melded)