I wish I had the opertunity to silence the critics!

Post your reviews and pictures here.
escapemcp

Re: I wish I had the opertunity to silence the critics!

#76 Post by escapemcp »

Harley wrote:
Rickisan wrote:.. Of course when he plugged it in the direct short across the terminals gave a little snap crackle and puff of smoke and he jumped...

This was mid 1960's. Vietnam era...
Can't have been much of a penalty for manslaughter in those then.
No there wasn't, they were killing gooks left right and centre and getting away with it! :lol: :slap:

The electricity was never that close to Teach. He was never in (that much) danger! I've had numerous 240V shocks (before they turned it down to a wussy 230V) and I'm still here... best one was about 15 seconds long. As the shock hit, my hands tightened onto the power supply I was holding... I had to concentrate like a mother to get the signal from my brain through to my hands to drop it!! My hands were a bloody mess afterwards! And all the while, the workmate who switched on the PSU just stood and watched!

So remember kids: BE CAREFUL, ELECTRICITY IS DANGEROUS (just like X-rays and radiation) - too much can turn you into a superhero :hyper: Oh... and don't trust your workmates.

Ryan A

#77 Post by Ryan A »

TimpBizkit wrote:A few years ago I had one through my fingers at 230v cause I touched the live and neutral on the back of the plug with 2 fingers. (Yes I was curious to know what a mains shock was like on non critical parts!) 15 seconds though, that's gotta be rough!
I'm not sure a 110-120 volt shock would be that big though.... sure you'd feel it but what's it like for Americans at half voltage?
That just might be the most stupid thing you've ever done. 115v is still more than enough to kill.

sine143

#78 Post by sine143 »

americans equal lower voltage, higher amperage.
Built:
2x Tuba 30s delta12lf loaded (gone)
4x Otop12 d2512 loaded
8x t48s (18, 18, 24, 24, 30, 30) 3015lf loaded
2x AT (1 mcm, 1 gto 804)
2x SLA Pro (dayton pa6, 6 goldwood piezo loaded)
1x bastard XF208

2x OT212 (delta pro 450a loaded, eminence psd)

Harley
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand - Authorised BFM Cab Builder

#79 Post by Harley »

Ryan A wrote:That just might be the most stupid thing you've ever done.....
I wouldn't be so quick as to jump to that conclusion right now :mrgreen:
ImageSemi-retired: Former Australia and New Zealand Authorised BFM cab builder.

escapemcp

#80 Post by escapemcp »

Harley wrote:
:loler: Sharp as ever Harley :)

escapemcp

#81 Post by escapemcp »

sine143 wrote:americans equal lower voltage, higher amperage.
Oh yeah, so a US shock would be worse than UK ones. Something to try next time I am in the US :slap:

Meanwhile... no sign of Bob...

2/1 Loving his BFM system so much he hasn't emerged from the club since switch on
5/1 Locked up
20/1 Deaf
100/1 Blind due to vibration induced detached retina

CoronaOperator

#82 Post by CoronaOperator »

TimpBizkit wrote:sure you'd feel it but what's it like for Americans at half voltage?
Its not that bad. 220v will make your muscles clench making it hard to let go of the conductors, can be dangerous. 120v does the opposite causing you to let go of anything your holding, somewhat like a built in escape plan. 120v will still wake you up and give you a nice hello, plan on being a bit shaky for an hour or so.
TimpBizkit wrote:A few years ago I had one through my fingers at 230v cause I touched the live and neutral on the back of the plug with 2 fingers.
If its two fingers of the same hand your not going to die, maybe cook some meat in your hand if you wait too long to let go but the electricity really isn't going thru your heart. One finger from each hand would be a different story and you could kill yourself. Electricians know well enough that if your going to play with live 220v mains, keep one hand in your pocket for safety.

As long as shop teacher had non conductive footwear and only used one hand the prank would have been pretty harmless.
Built:
17" width 10" driver Autotuba
2 x 29" width dual Lab12 Tuba60
6 x DR250 2510/asd1001
In progress:
2 x DR250 2510/asd1001
For best results, point the loud end of the array towards the audience

leamy_f

#83 Post by leamy_f »

Harley wrote:

stop harley your'e killing me

bmf

#84 Post by bmf »

Keep in mind voltage won't kill you. Amperage will. I got lit up by a 60,000 volt ignition system for well over a minute before being able to let go. HURT LIKE HELL but wasn't going to kill me.

Rickisan

#85 Post by Rickisan »

My worst shock was a 150v B+ supply while repairing a TV some 30 or so yrs ago. TO-3 cased power transistor. I'm looking at it thinking the case is ground. Wrong! Case is the collector... Oops. Turned out it was 125v at 2 amps. Luckily was my right hand /arm only. Quite numb for several hours. Never made that mistake again.

Now back to the build...
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

BrentEvans

#86 Post by BrentEvans »

I've been shocked by lots of things, from 110VAC out of the outlet, to a spark plug on an old farm tiller (the kind where you flip a metal switch onto the spark plug to kill the engine... hurt like crazy).

The worst one, though, wasn't from a high voltage or high current application. It was from voltage on the phone system (usually normally about 40 volts DC), which wouldn't be that bad, right? The problem was twofold. First... the phone rang, increasing 40VDC to 90VAC at 20 hz. Second.. I had my forehead up against a metal HVAC duct, which of course was grounded through the building's bonding. The result was that the battery voltage grounded through my head. Getting shocked through your head is very different than through your body. I had flashing black and white vision (completely blind, effectively) and got a metallic taste in my mouth. Afterwards... nausea, dizziness and disorientation. It took about five minutes to shake it off, then I was fine and went back to work... a little wiser. The experience was virtually painless... but it was the most unpleasant experience I have ever had, worse than broken bones, heat stroke, waking up during an endoscopy, waking up during dental surgery, getting kicked in the jewels, and of course, all the jolts I've had from various electrical sources. Never want to repeat that one.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Tom Smit

#87 Post by Tom Smit »

Brent, the man with experience(s). :shock:

:)
TomS

67baja

#88 Post by 67baja »

Bob? Helloooo. We need an update! If you need bail money, just tell us already. Jeez, I thought we were all friends here. You don't call, you don't write... what are we all to think?
2 THTs, 2 TLAH, SLA curved, 1 8-AT, 1 AT JBL 1002D, 4 Otop12s, Jack 12, TT with Eminence 10", 2 SLAs, 1 T30 slim, 2 T30s (2-10" each), SLA Pros, TrT.

BrentEvans

#89 Post by BrentEvans »

Tom Smit wrote:Brent, the man with experience(s). :shock:

:)
I guess this is what they call "the school of hard knocks."

:wall:
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

BrentEvans

#90 Post by BrentEvans »

I do phone Tech work. On Telco 66 blocks there are a bunch of exposed conductors. When I was punching down a line, my fingers brushed a hot line. I assume it was a ringing line, but it could have been a number of other things, like a t line. I didn't go probing to find it.