Mini SLA Pros and lovin it

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Rickisan

Re: Mini SLA Pros and lovin it

#31 Post by Rickisan »

Please explain the lighted bar top if you will. Very Cool!!!
I venture the "bar top" is a pool table... also venture there should be a Bar close by any pool table. IMHO. :)

I will, however, defer on both points to the original poster. :)
2-Jack 10
2-Wedgehorn 8
1-Auto Tuba

spoogin

#32 Post by spoogin »

biggerrigger wrote:Please explain the lighted bar top if you will. Very Cool!!!
I got the lighted bar top idea from a local club called Fire and Ice. Their whole bar is made from plexiglass and lights up, so I made my own version of it for only $45. I just used two strings of tiny blue l.e.d. christmas lights that ran off of 5 volt batter pack that I got from walmart left over from christmas. They were on closeout for $2 each. A trip to lowes and grabbed up 4 strips of wood trim 'the kind you use to make picture frames and stuff, its like an inch wide and maybe 1/2 thick. That was about $3. The only thing really costing anything was the piece of 2x6 acrylic. It was $40. I used my dremel and routed out little channels in the wood where the lights would be and the wires ran so that everything sat flush. Took the sheet of acrylic and sanded one side of it so that it would give the lights a nice haze. That side goes down and the smooth glossy side is the top. Frame it all together and make it flush with the rest of the bar and walla, lighted led bar top. Oh and I converted the lights over from using batteries to running off a old bluetooth headset charger/power-supply that is 5 volts, so I just plug them in. Here's a few pictures. I also have the L.E.D. strip lighting going all around the basement to, and it all does the changing color thing along with going to the beat of the music if you want. Pretty cool little setup, but nothing I love more than my SLA Pro mini's and the THT down there. I still get goose bumps when I crank it up.
Attachments
The bar with all the led's blue
The bar with all the led's blue
The bar top up close
The bar top up close
My shotglass and her's! can you tell who's is who's?!? haha
My shotglass and her's! can you tell who's is who's?!? haha
The Blue LED's give the same effect as a blacklight.  This is my fiance holding up shot glasses.
The Blue LED's give the same effect as a blacklight. This is my fiance holding up shot glasses.
Last edited by spoogin on Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spoogin

#33 Post by spoogin »

Just in case you were interested in seeing the lights beat with the music, heres a small vid I took with my phone. I had to keep the volume down otherwise the THT would just distort the phone mic something awful.

and yes I have an exit sign down there, that's to show the drunks the way out!! ha

biggerrigger

#34 Post by biggerrigger »

Kudos on a very cool home bar. The light up bar is a really great idea. You two look like you would be fun to party with. Thanks for posting the pics and vids. I am doing a full blown bar/man cave/home theater for a good friend of mine over the next month and I will be sure to post up some pics when it's completed.
Built
4-25" Lab12 loaded T39's
2-DR250's Melded array
2-DR250's Flat array

spoogin

#35 Post by spoogin »

Her and I definitely love our music, and Jäger! haha. Thanks for the compliments and I can't wait to see the pictures from your build with your friends bar.

johns811

#36 Post by johns811 »

I build the full size SLA pro with 4 tweeters. How did you wire the 2 woofers 3 tweeters?

Triticum Agricolam

#37 Post by Triticum Agricolam »

I know this is an old thread, but when using three tweeters did you wire them in parallel or in series?

spoogin

#38 Post by spoogin »

its been a while since I built them so I can't exactly remember, lol I know I hooked the woofers parallel, and I believe the 3 tweeters in series. The little cab has an overal load of 4.5 ohms. I think I remember reading somewhere that the piezos don't really add an ohm value.

BrentEvans

#39 Post by BrentEvans »

spoogin wrote:its been a while since I built them so I can't exactly remember, lol I know I hooked the woofers parallel, and I believe the 3 tweeters in series. The little cab has an overal load of 4.5 ohms. I think I remember reading somewhere that the piezos don't really add an ohm value.
The impedance of a piezo array is determined by the protection resistor in the fikler/crossover, or the impedance of whatever it is parralel to (usually the mid/woofer) in its bandpass if no crossover is used. Piezo drivers are by nature capacitive rather than resistive.
99% of the time, things that aren't already being done aren't being done because they don't work. The other 1% is split evenly between fools and geniuses.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#40 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

BrentEvans wrote: The impedance of a piezo array is determined by the protection resistor in the fikler/crossover.
The protection resistor limits the minimum impedance to 4 ohms, which occurs at very high frequencies, well above the audible audio range. Within the audible range the impedance depends on the number of tweeters in the array and how they're wired, parallel or series/parallel. With eight tweeters wired parallel the minimum impedance in the audio bandwidth is about 16 ohms. With fewer than eight tweeters parallel wired or with any number of tweeters wired series/parallel the array impedance is higher.

Kranku68

#41 Post by Kranku68 »

i've just finished a pair of these babes...i've tried them this afternoon and i was impressed by the quite good balance of the stuff...
i will build another pair very soon to put inside my rehearsal cave to replace my big DR250 i was using for main sound diffusion (really overpowered for the room).
2 DR250 powered by a L-Acoustics LA24
2 Jack 112
2 tuba 30
2 Tuba 18
4 SLA Pro Top
2 Otop 8