THT Build... Holy S&*t!

Post your reviews and pictures here.
robbbby

THT Build... Holy S&*t!

#1 Post by robbbby »

Well after a year or two of wanting to build a THT I finally pulled the trigger and went through with it. After 2 weeks I finally finished (sort of), and lit her up for the first time tonight.

My first impressions...

Let me preface by saying I was presently using a paradigm dsp3400. I'm going to give it to some young child because in comparison to this tht it really is a kids toy.
I am using the recommended dayton driver, have not yet checked for leaks and the speaker has peaked at a max of maybe 6 or 7V for music and it SCREAMS. I really am blown away and was not expecting this. I have listened to a large selection of music from various genres and would have to say that I don't think I would ever use one of these for my 2 channel listening pleasure. It sounds good and is nice and deep but does not seem responsive enough for certain styles of music. However I also have full range speakers and am not a huge fan of lots of bass in music anyways so maybe it is just my personal taste in music listening or maybe I don't have the enclosure situated in the right spot. For party style music listening this thing is A+++++.

Movies, wow. I went through a few action movies and it was insane, like nothing I have ever felt. I believe it was mortal kombat we were scanning through and one gun scene was pretty intense, could actually feel the shaking with each gun shot. My buddy mentioned that he felt like he was actually getting shot everytime a gun went off. The usual stuff like transformers was also incredible compared to the last time I watched it. I think while watching movies it may have peaked at about 9V. I couldn't imagine turning it up anymore or even adding a second one, this thing is just awesome. I know I will never buy another subwoofer as long as I live. BFM for life!

I didn't take pictures through the build but maybe i'll post a non painted finished product shot. It is pretty rough and the last panel did not line up nicely, I admit I rushed through this a little because I actually should have been working on finishing the basement instead and didn't want to waste too much time. Since the lumber isn't really that expensive I may try the build again and take my time so I have a nice looking enclosure. For now i'm going to test for leaks and see if I can find a rattle, also I think I have a scrap piece of lumber floating around in the box that may never come out of the maze.

I also went with a 36" wide build but when I was 95% finished decided to measure doors and realized I would never get it in the basement so I had to trim it down to 32".
Last edited by robbbby on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loudsubz

Re: THT Build... Holy S&*t!

#2 Post by loudsubz »

look who decided to pipe up :)

glad you actually went through with it.

robbbby

#3 Post by robbbby »

if it wasn't for you it probably would have just stayed on my "want but never going to do", list.

Tom Smit

#4 Post by Tom Smit »

robbbby wrote:...... I admit I rushed through this a little because I actually should have been working on finishing the basement instead and didn't want to waste too much time.
:cop: TSk, tsk, you're supposed to stay focused on the basement! :lol: :lol:

P.S. you didn't waste time.
TomS

Benj Ross

#5 Post by Benj Ross »

Did you break in the driver? I found that these subs can be too "rigid" for music until they are good and broken in. It really does make a huge difference in the dissapearing act that the sub can do. I built one of these for a client about the size of yours and it demolished subs cost $3000 +

Also, finding the sweet spot in the room is huge! I cannot tell you how surprised I was when this monster was weak and timid in my house. I put the thing on dolly and moved in around my house until I found the spot. Right in the middle of the room under the stairs. After that literally 5W was all my house could take before I was worried about the windows. The good news is I think I killed all the carpenter ants! :loler:

Enjoy!

Benj
Authorized Builder
http://www.westsoundsystems.com (under construction)
Donating a portion of all proceeds to the Friends of Falun Gong
http://www.fofg.org
Peavey and Madisound Dealer

robbbby

#6 Post by robbbby »

Tom Smit wrote: P.S. you didn't waste time.
You're right, I didn't! At the time though I thought I was though. Definately going to build another once the basement is complete to replace this enclosure.

Benj Ross wrote:Did you break in the driver? I found that these subs can be too "rigid" for music until they are good and broken in. It really does make a huge difference in the dissapearing act that the sub can do. I built one of these for a client about the size of yours and it demolished subs cost $3000 +

Also, finding the sweet spot in the room is huge! I cannot tell you how surprised I was when this monster was weak and timid in my house. I put the thing on dolly and moved in around my house until I found the spot. Right in the middle of the room under the stairs. After that literally 5W was all my house could take before I was worried about the windows. The good news is I think I killed all the carpenter ants! :loler:

Enjoy!

Benj
Excellent point, I never considered the break in. I did approx. 6 hours of 20-40hz sweeps at 10 volts outside of the enclosure, 12 was recommended so it probably isn't broken in yet. Also going to be moving it around a bit to try and find the right spot but will probably just end up leaving it firing in the corner from 12" away.

The one issue I have is that until the basement is complete the sub is on a main floor. I think I am losing a ton of sound/bass into the hardwood floors. I think it shakes the floors more than anything.

chaywood

#7 Post by chaywood »

robbbby wrote: I have listened to a large selection of music from various genres and would have to say that I don't think I would ever use one of these for my 2 channel listening pleasure. It sounds good and is nice and deep but does not seem responsive enough for certain styles of music. However I also have full range speakers and am not a huge fan of lots of bass in music anyways so maybe it is just my personal taste in music listening or maybe I don't have the enclosure situated in the right spot.
Hello robbbby,

I'm curious as to a particular song that the THT "does not seem responsive enough"...

CH

- Tuba HT 24"
- David Stereo Floorstanders (pr)
- AutoTuba 18"
- Pair of AutoTubas Upright Home Use

robbbby

#8 Post by robbbby »

i don't recall exactly, it was a couple electronic or "dubstep" type songs. Not my usual listening but was fishing through music looking for bass heavy songs. But like I mentioned above it was just for that certain style of music which I don't normally listen to anyways, plus my sub was not positioned yet, hadn't checked for leaks, probably not really broken in and from some brief listening today I found a couple loosened bolts holding the driver. My comment wasn't really to steer anybody away from building one of these for use in a 2.1 setup, was just a comment about my personal tastes. I've never run a sub with my 2 channel setup so in hindsight I really shouldn't have made the comment. I purpose built this for theatre use and like i've already mentioned it is like anything I have ever heard.

This doesn't really show how terribly I assembled it but is a funny picture to show how massive it is. I've since turned it 45degrees to fire into the corner. I need to take a side by side with my 14/15" paradigm sub for some real :lol:

subharmonic

#9 Post by subharmonic »

Try some "Dark Side of the Moon", SACD if possible, vinyl may skip with a THT doing its thing.
2x T39, 1x T60, 1x THTLP, 1x AT(not built by me) 6x DR250
I need more bass

But this gal's built like a burlap bag full of bobcats
CW Mcall

chaywood

#10 Post by chaywood »

robbbby wrote: ...but was fishing through music looking for bass heavy songs....
Try "Rain" by Madonna... It has 15-60 hz bass nearly continuous....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00122 ... u_dp_trk12

CH

- Tuba HT 24"
- David Stereo Floorstanders (pr)
- AutoTuba 18"
- Pair of AutoTubas Upright Home Use

bassmonster

#11 Post by bassmonster »

There's this whole thread on bassy songs for BFM systems, check it out. I like "Ghosts n Stuff" by deadmau5, and "Napalm" by DaVIP.

robbbby

#12 Post by robbbby »

Thanks for the recommendations guys!