My Initial THT Review

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Kevin A

My Initial THT Review

#1 Post by Kevin A »

I've now had my THT in place for a little over 2.5 weeks now, and have been busy playing a variety of music, games and movies through my set up. This was my first attempt at building a subwoofer, and I appreciate all the advice that came from BFM & other THT vets during the build process.
Here's the build thread, in case you missed it: http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/viewt ... 30&t=10845

THT in place:

Room layout:

Here's my current set-up:
Speakers:
Sub: THT
L&R: Magnepan MG-12 (http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_12)
Center: I most go with a phantom center— but sometimes use a single monitor (Swan D2.1se), depending on the source (movies, some games)
Surrounds: 4 CSW Newton Series S205 Surrounds
Components
AVR: Marantz SR8001 THX Surround Receiver
Amp: Emotiva UPA-2 (for Magnepans)
SubAmp: Bash 300 Digital
EQ: BFD-1124
Sources:
• Sony PS3 (games & blu-ray movies)
• Sony Ps2 (games)
• Nintendo Wii (games)
• X-box 360 (games)
• Toshiba HD-DVD (music & movies)
• Technics BD Turntable (whenever break out my old LPs)

My first impressions of the THT is that it effortlessly seems to produce a very broad (non-localized) bass foundation no mater the source (music, movies, games). One of the issues I've had in the past with other previous subs (BIC HT100, SVS pc12) is the inability of these subs to successfully 'blend' into the room & not draw attention to the sub's location. Very annoying. With the THT, this doesn't seem to be an issue. The floor/seats rumble at dynamic movies scenes (U-571, Master & Commander, Hurt Locker) and it becomes a very 'visceral' experience without a hint of distortion or strain.

I've also been attempting to get some room measurements using the Room EQ wizard (REW) software. It's great software for ..."measuring room acoustics and countering room modal resonances. It includes tools for generating test signals, measuring frequency and impulse responses and automatically adjusting the settings of parametric equalisers to counter the effects of room modes. It also provides spectrum and Real Time Analyser displays for live monitoring of room response or live adjustment of EQ."

Here's an initial sample of a measurement taken of just the sub. Some more testing to come...