Ot12 review

Post your reviews and pictures here.
Tonyla

Ot12 review

#1 Post by Tonyla »

The following are text messages between me and my client before and after her wedding reception:

Before:

Bride:
No prb, will do shortly. I spoke with the venue earlier, are you planning to set up speakers by the dance floor? They were telling me we will need thisthat since the sound only from the stage might not be enough to reach the other side.

Me:
I am bringing a bigger system that I don't usually use for wedding receptions that can project sound the entire length of the room, but I will have additional speakers for the dance floor if needed, but the band sound will project from the stage to the opposite end of the room with no problem.

Bride:
The hall is available starting 9AM. Thanks a lot!

Me:
Ill be there no later than 10. Thank you.

Background:

Banquet room is about 180 feet long by 90 feet wide with the 50'x50' dance floor and wedding party tables about 70' from the stage at one end of the room, and the back of the room 180' away at the opposite end of the room.

Yesterday, After the reception:

Bride:
Good morning, Tony! We didn't get a chance to meet yesterday. The sound system was incredible! Please send me you address, I would like to send you a thank you card. Thanks! -Bride

Me:
I'm really glad that you and you guests had a good Time. As I turned out, we didn't need the additional speakers by the dance floor, so I didn't use them at all, and turned them off before going backstage. Thank you and your husband for the opportunity for what was one of my most enjoyable wedding receptions in years. My address is XXXXXXXXXXXX.

Bride:
Great, thanks!

For reference, I measured an obscenely loud 117 db a weighted at the far end of the room running between 9 and 28 volts into each pair of my four Omnitop12s with melded arrays, then turned the system down so none of us would go deaf.

Subs were four of my TCS 218s running off of two bridged QSC PLX3602s, with a third 3602 in stereo running the tops, with no effort at all, and minimal EQ all run directly from my Behringer X32 matrix outs, with no external processing.

Special thanks to Bill for the great design, and. To Mark Coward for the fantastic builds.

88h88

Re: Ot12 review

#2 Post by 88h88 »

The OT12s are ridiculously loud, they're a truly fantastic design considering how easy they are to put together.

Getting praise for the sound is the best thing, nice work. :clap:
4xOT12s, 2xT39s@22", TTLS@18", 2xT60@18"

PulseMan

#3 Post by PulseMan »

88h88 wrote:The OT12s are ridiculously loud, they're a truly fantastic design considering how easy they are to put together.

Getting praise for the sound is the best thing, nice work. :clap:

+1 88h88
BUILT
6 OT12's DELTA PRO 12A STRAIGHT ARRAY
2 OT12's DELTA PRO 12A MELDED ARRAY
8 T48's 24" 3015LF LOADED
2 WEDGEHORN 10 MKIV's
1 SLA PRO FOR CENTRE FILL

Like us on facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Pulse.Entertainment.SA‎

Tonyla

#4 Post by Tonyla »

The OT 12s have had a dramatic improvement in my sound overt my old tops. Could I expect the same from Titan 48s over my current subs? Current ones are carvin TCS 218s.

Chris_Allen

#5 Post by Chris_Allen »

Tonyla wrote:Could I expect the same from Titan 48s over my current subs? Current ones are carvin TCS 218s.
Yes!

According to this:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/TCS_manual.pdf

101dB (1W/1M) and 217lbs between 30-800Hz! Strangely, it notes the internal crossover as being at 500Hz.
Built:
6xDR200, 2xT39, 2xT48, 2xJack110, 1xOmni10.5, 1xAutotuba, 1xT18, 1xSLA Pro, 1xW8, 1xW10

Tonyla

#6 Post by Tonyla »

For this past Saturdays gig, I crossed at100hz. Into the OT12s. Good sound with slops at 24 db/ octave.

Bill Fitzmaurice
Site Admin

#7 Post by Bill Fitzmaurice »

Chris_Allen wrote: http://www.carvinguitars.com/manuals/TCS_manual.pdf
101dB (1W/1M) and 217lbs between 30-800Hz!
Note to Carvin: if you're going to lie about your cab specs don't post a picture of the driver so that anyone with WinISD can find out what your cab is really capable of. :cop:
That cab is loaded with Eminence Kilomax 18 drivers. The actual 1m/1w sensitivity is 98dB, with f3 at 38Hz. It will put out a pretty good thump if you power it with 2,000w, but a 2x12 T60 will bitch slap it with 600w. If you only need 35Hz extension a 3015LF loaded T48 will equal it in output at half the weight and a quarter the power.

Tonyla

#8 Post by Tonyla »

All of my subs are loaded with B&C drivers. My first two came with Kilomax 18s and sounded like crap. And their cones separated from the voice coils. I suppose the cabinets were originally designed for the B&Cs, because they sound good, Carvin sent me replacemt B&Cs and they have performed flawlessly.

However, they are ridiculously heavy and power hungry. I'm putting my rig on a diet as soon as I can get my first four T48s. And fou more OT12s.

Tonyla

#9 Post by Tonyla »

Just did another flawless National Night Out gig, outdoors.

I swear it seemed that fidelity improved as I brought the volume up. Minimal EQ.