It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:56 pm 

Goodnight folks! Hope everyone's ok. I found a sub woofer that closely meets the recommended specs for the T48s, none of the Eminence mentioned in the plans are easily available locally and I was thinking of using these. :fingers: Here are the specs and parameters. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Specifications:
1200W Program Power / 600W RMS Power Rating
80 Oz Ceramic Ferrite Magnet / Copper-cap motor system
3” Voice Coil
96dB SPL Sensitivity / 30Hz to 2,000Hz usable frequency range
8 Ω Nominal impedance
Thiele/Small Parameters
fs 29 Hz
Sd: 850 cm2
re: 5.7Ω
Qms: 9.45 Qes: 0.27 Qts: 0.27
VAS: 225 Ltr
Cms: 233uM/N
Mms: 118 g
BL product: 21.95 T/M
And xmax: 5mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:03 am 

Do you know what the Xmas is?

The rest of the specs are okay.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:04 am 

Tom Smit wrote:
Do you know what the Xmas is?

The rest of the specs are okay.

Yes it is 5mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:06 am 

Cha-ching! It looks like you got a winner! :clap:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:27 am 

Tom Smit wrote:
Cha-ching! It looks like you got a winner! :clap:

Well I guess it's a GO!!! :hyper: FINALLY after searching for more than a year. It's Sawdust time!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:46 am 
Site Admin

5mm is usable, but just. You'll have to limit at 45 volts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:38 pm 

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
5mm is usable, but just. You'll have to limit at 45 volts.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Fitzmaurice. Now if I'm correct 45 volts @ 8 ohms equals around 250 watts. Next question, does that also equal less dBs? :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 am 

Starchild wrote:
Now if I'm correct 45 volts @ 8 ohms equals around 250 watts. Next question, does that also equal less dBs? :cry:

Yes, it does mean lower output. A 45V limit is lower than all the recommended drivers in the plans.

You can make up the difference by building more cabs.
If you haven't got the pack space for more cabs, you need to go back to the recommended drivers.

If you converted the voltage back to watts so you can work out an appropriate amplifier, if you built 4 cabs and ran 2 per channel, that would require a minimum of about 510W @ 4ohms/channel. 600W at 4 ohms would be better...

3 x WH8 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 am 

Grant Bunter wrote:
Starchild wrote:
Now if I'm correct 45 volts @ 8 ohms equals around 250 watts. Next question, does that also equal less dBs? :cry:

Yes, it does mean lower output. A 45V limit is lower than all the recommended drivers in the plans.

You can make up the difference by building more cabs.
If you haven't got the pack space for more cabs, you need to go back to the recommended drivers.

If you converted the voltage back to watts so you can work out an appropriate amplifier, if you built 4 cabs and ran 2 per channel, that would require a minimum of about 510W @ 4ohms/channel. 600W at 4 ohms would be better...

Thanks for the reply Mr. Bunter. The intention is to build 8 in all but pairs at a time. Later on I can replace the subs with the ones recommended. I do not have the capital to source any of the eminence speakers from miami so I would use these for now.. thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:53 am 

Another thing, I wanted to build them 28 inches wide now would that mean I would HAVE to use the reducer panels?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:56 pm 

Starchild wrote:
Another thing, I wanted to build them 28 inches wide now would that mean I would HAVE to use the reducer panels?

Your driver Fs is less than 32Hz. Any cab is called "wide" when it is greater than minimum cab width, so regardless of your "wide" cab size you HAVE to use reducer panels...

3 x WH8 with melded array.
Bunter's Audio and Lighting "like"s would be most appreciated...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:00 pm 

Grant Bunter wrote:
Starchild wrote:

Your driver Fs is less than 32Hz. Any cab is called "wide" when it is greater than minimum cab width, so regardless of your "wide" cab size you HAVE to use reducer panels...
I read all that but there is also part that says (If you have more than two cabs sensitivity isn’t an issue, so omit the reducers). I am building 8 but I won't be using all 8 for every gig...

I started yesterday :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 am 

Starchild wrote:
The intention is to build 8 in all but pairs at a time. Later on I can replace the subs with the ones recommended. I do not have the capital to source any of the eminence speakers from miami so I would use these for now.. thanks again.

This is fine, but be sure to use the latest version of the plans, with the access panel on the "front" of the cabinet, not the "top". This will be very important if you plan to swap out the drivers. Use the "Recex" type screws, but not with Philips or slot heads. They do not use T-nuts, making a driver swap much easier.

EDIT: Do you have access to Peavey Low Rider 15"s? I know they are not mentioned on here a lot, but they are very usable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:32 pm 

DJPhatman wrote:
Starchild wrote:
The intention is to build 8 in all but pairs at a time. Later on I can replace the subs with the ones recommended. I do not have the capital to source any of the eminence speakers from miami so I would use these for now.. thanks again.

This is fine, but be sure to use the latest version of the plans, with the access panel on the "front" of the cabinet, not the "top". This will be very important if you plan to swap out the drivers. Use the "Recex" type screws, but not with Philips or slot heads. They do not use T-nuts, making a driver swap much easier.

EDIT: Do you have access to Peavey Low Rider 15"s? I know they are not mentioned on here a lot, but they are very usable.

I have a couple Peavey Lowriders but 18s, had them from my previous sound system (cerwin vega l36). We had a dealer here but it seems he closed down years ago so it's the same issue as the Eminence. This system will upgrade itself, in a year or so I would be able to buy the good stuff. And can you send a link to the screws you mentioned? would appreciate it.

Thanks! :hyper:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:55 pm 

A link to the forum's favorite parts supplier: https://www.speakerhardware.com/recex-h ... ew-1x8.php