It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 am

All times are UTC-05:00

Post subject: New member, first build
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:56 pm 

New here, I’ve just purchased the Tuba 24 plans.

I plan to build them 24” wide, finished in Duratex. This will be for my outdoor Home Theater, a 150” screen, seating (grass area) is 25’ wide x 80’ deep. The most I’ve had over for movie night was 20 people.

I have a question about speaker selection, and one vs two drivers.

I originally had planned to use one driver, and upgrade to the Kappa Pro 10LF. For the same $$ I could go with the standard Eminence BP 102, but use two drivers.

I only plan to build one sub. Next project will be the SLA.

What would be the most noticeable difference between one Kappa Pro vs two BP 102’s in essentially the same cabinet?

Or would it just be best to build 2 subs, each with the BP 102?

Storage space is my problem with using two subs, if I do consider this route they would be 16”-18” wide.

Thanks,
Dom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:44 pm 

Did you consider the Kappalite 3010LF? It's lighter, handles more power and has the largest x-max of all the approved drivers.

It is certainly more bang for the buck.

6 - T39 4-25" 2-22" 3012LF
4 - OT12 2512 Melded/NSD2005
1 - T24
2 - XF210

"A system with a few knobs set up by someone who knows what they are doing is always better than one with a lot of knobs set up by someone who doesn't."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:55 pm 

Thanks for the reply.

With a 24” wide cab, would it be better to go with one Kappalight or two BP 102’s? I’m trying to keep costs down and can’t do two Kappalites.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 pm 

domct203 wrote:
I’m trying to keep costs down and can’t do two Kappalites.

Then build the right sub for the job. The T24's usable response is only good to about 45-50Hz, for HT, this leaves a lot of bass left out.

My suggestion is a pair of Table Tuba. The drivers can be had inexpensively. It is bigger than the T24, by 6" per side, but gives much better response, down to 30Hz. Don't expect ground-shaking bass from any of the subs, as outdoors is the most difficult place to get bass response, but the TT does do pretty good.

Whatever design you do build and use, make sure you use at least 2. More would be better.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:25 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't be all that concerned about below 40Hz outdoors, because it's going to take a lot of subbage to get it. T24 is OK, but I'd do two, and I would load them with the Kappalite 3010LF. Buy once, cry once. If you can't afford two 3010LF now do one, add a second when you can. If you find one T24 is adequate that's OK too. Just accept the fact that outdoors you're not going to get the result you do indoors.