It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC-05:00

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:53 pm 

UPDATE!
I got another sub with a 6mm XMAX for a couple hundred dollars more. The other parameters are
Fs: 36Hz,
QTS: 0.27,
Vd: 513.164 cm3/
What do you guys think?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:22 am 

Wow! It's right on the edge, but it's still within the range needed. It will work.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:22 am 

If you are willing to pay $200 extra PER DRIVER as it seems you have stated... why not just import the right ones and be done with it? Shipping and duty can't be THAT much in comparison.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:34 am 

BrentEvans wrote:
If you are willing to pay $200 extra PER DRIVER as it seems you have stated... why not just import the right ones and be done with it? Shipping and duty can't be THAT much in comparison.

If it were as easy as you put it I would have about 20 T48s already built and running. The eminece subs are NOT available here and it cost upwards of $4000.00 to import one of the lowest required model... The one I mentioned is $995.00 do the maths...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:40 am 
Site Admin

Starchild wrote:
If it were as easy as you put it ..
It is: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9905

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:07 am 

A round trip flight to JFK from POS is about $500 - $700. How many suitcases do you have? Even if you get 1 driver per suitcase, and they charge you $200 per suitcase to carry them, you're still coming out better. Now, whether you can get the magnets on the plane or not is another story... probably not... but you could fly to NY and ship yourself back drivers and probably have less money involved at the end than you're paying for those drivers. If you're going to build 8 cabs, you're talking $8000 of budget... 8 3015lf would be $1600, plus $1000 for flight and expenses... $2600 from $8000 leaves you $5400 to ship 4-8 smallish boxes from ny to home? Ups calculates them at $320 per single driver package. $2560 in freight plus $2600 in materials and travel is $5160. That doesn't include duty or tax... so at the maximum duty rate of 45%, you'd add $720 in duty, meaning you are at $5880, or $2,120 less than your $1,000 subpar driver. So... add a couple of days of New York vacay into the deal, and you can still save some money.

I did that math in 30 minutes... while eating lunch and texting. I'm sure the shipping proxy companies are cheaper....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:15 pm 

BrentEvans wrote:
A round trip flight to JFK from POS is about $500 - $700. How many suitcases do you have? Even if you get 1 driver per suitcase, and they charge you $200 per suitcase to carry them, you're still coming out better. Now, whether you can get the magnets on the plane or not is another story... probably not... but you could fly to NY and ship yourself back drivers and probably have less money involved at the end than you're paying for those drivers. If you're going to build 8 cabs, you're talking $8000 of budget... 8 3015lf would be $1600, plus $1000 for flight and expenses... $2600 from $8000 leaves you $5400 to ship 4-8 smallish boxes from ny to home? Ups calculates them at $320 per single driver package. $2560 in freight plus $2600 in materials and travel is $5160. That doesn't include duty or tax... so at the maximum duty rate of 45%, you'd add $720 in duty, meaning you are at $5880, or $2,120 less than your $1,000 subpar driver. So... add a couple of days of New York vacay into the deal, and you can still save some money.

I did that math in 30 minutes... while eating lunch and texting. I'm sure the shipping proxy companies are cheaper....
as I said previously if it were as easy as you make it sound then I would have done it already. 1st thing is I would need a VISA to travel to the United States and that process takes almost 6 months to get an appointment plus a non refundable application fee of $1000.00 ttd last time I checked... and the foreign exchange rate here is $7.00 ttd to $1.00 usd. So I will take my chances with my "sub par driver"...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:28 pm 

Just a quick comparison between The Kappa pro 15 LF and the sub I found here
The Kappa Pro 15LF parameters
FS: 35
QTS: 0.30
xmax: 6.7mm
Vd: 507cc
Voice Coil: 3 inch

The Local Sub
FS: 36Hz
QTS: 0.27
xmax: 6.mm
Vd: 513.cc
Voice Coil: 4 inch And both are rated at 1600w prog/ 800w rms

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:53 pm 

As for exchange rates... at $142 US, your driver is reasonably priced. At $1000US it is not, so do bear in mind that most of the membership of this forum is from the US, and those that who do business in dollars other than USD typically have exchange rates around 1.30:1 or so, so close enough for comparison. 7:1 is something you should probably make a note of when you post, as it's a bit out of the ordinary.

KP15LF is not the premium driver with which to compare, 3015LF is. With 9.6mm xmax, each one of those is worth 1.5 of anything around 6mm, even if it can handle 10,000w. Raw power handling and magnet size are basically irrelevant. They don't hurt as long as the other specs are in line, but it's not like a ported cab where bigger is generally better.

So.. to compare, you would have to compare whatever the price of the 3015LF is (let's say you come it at $350 per driver using the shipping methods we're talking about) to 1.5 of your driver... which would be $225, plus whatever the cost of 50% more materials for the cabinets is... and extra space to transport, etc.

That said, ShipItTo says that each 3015LF driver would be under $100 shipping when done in bulk, and there may be further combination discounts if you use their $50/yr plan. If you could get a commercial account with Parts Express, and arrange bulk shipping, you might find this to be more affordable than you think... maybe below $300 US per driver.

So with that in mind, using premium drivers might cost a bit more per driver, but there would be non-negligible savings in materials, time, space, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:14 pm 

BrentEvans wrote:
As for exchange rates... at $142 US, your driver is reasonably priced. At $1000US it is not, so do bear in mind that most of the membership of this forum is from the US, and those that who do business in dollars other than USD typically have exchange rates around 1.30:1 or so, so close enough for comparison. 7:1 is something you should probably make a note of when you post, as it's a bit out of the ordinary.

KP15LF is not the premium driver with which to compare, 3015LF is. With 9.6mm xmax, each one of those is worth 1.5 of anything around 6mm, even if it can handle 10,000w. Raw power handling and magnet size are basically irrelevant. They don't hurt as long as the other specs are in line, but it's not like a ported cab where bigger is generally better.

So.. to compare, you would have to compare whatever the price of the 3015LF is (let's say you come it at $350 per driver using the shipping methods we're talking about) to 1.5 of your driver... which would be $225, plus whatever the cost of 50% more materials for the cabinets is... and extra space to transport, etc.

That said, ShipItTo says that each 3015LF driver would be under $100 shipping when done in bulk, and there may be further combination discounts if you use their $50/yr plan. If you could get a commercial account with Parts Express, and arrange bulk shipping, you might find this to be more affordable than you think... maybe below $300 US per driver.

So with that in mind, using premium drivers might cost a bit more per driver, but there would be non-negligible savings in materials, time, space, etc.

As I said before, if it were that easy I would have done it already. Point is the sub that I have available could work in the cabinet. Now I could easily go to the store here and purchase it and head home to install. I have intentions of upgrading as I said in previous posts so I dont see it as an issue. I understand your point but I am not going to put my hat where I cant reach.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:31 pm 

"Intentions of upgrading"

means that you're in a hurry.

We can't change that for you.

Go for it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:53 pm 

David Raehn wrote:
"Intentions of upgrading"

means that you're in a hurry.

We can't change that for you.

Go for it.

Thanks for the encouragement Mr. David!! I really do appreciate it :D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:47 pm 

UPDATE!!! First T48 is complete! (thunder clap and lightning) and hmm all I can say is DAMNNN! I am totally blown away with the sound quality and impact it is something you have to get used to but overall it's a unanimous 30 thumbs up! And if that's how a "sub par sub" sounds then I can only imagine what I'd get from the premiums when I upgrade... All in all I am quite comfortable with it and confident my sound system will have them in awe when we launch... Thanks for all your assistance.
Now onto #2... :hyper:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:39 pm 

:clap: